door!!! Has anyone ever had the inclanation to do this? Has anyone

here ever done it? Am I losing it? I just seemed to be bogged down in

equipment. I just love all the different stuff it is really fun to

dink around with but to master one thing, well I would have a better

time with a stripped down outfit I think. Any thoughts on this? Then

the question arises.....which one??? Then it starts again! I vote for

the M5 with the 35 1:2 ASPH. I thank you for any thoughts and or

comments on this.

You don't actually have to sell the rest to try living with just one camera for a while. If you can't even leave the rest at home for a single shooting, I think you already know the answer to your question.

I sometimes go with just one camera and lens, and it's very nice the way it takes my mind off the equipment choices and more importantly the weight off my shoulders. But I wouldn't want to just get rid of the rest of my equipment. A lot of it has some sort of use.

Oh, btw, I sometimes take some acceptable pictures with it too. But that has also happened when I carried 3 cameras and assorted lenses.

Michael -- you really sound like a mess. One camera, one lens? Makes sense, but, only if you can make that work for yourself. Maybe what you need to do is pair it down to just one system. You do not mention what genre you shoot. Landscape? Arcitecural? Portrait? Street? All of them? Pick one of them and then the best kind of camera for that genre. Also, if you reads lots of photo magazines -- NEVER buy another, maybe that is how you got in this fix in the first place.

sl

www.streetphoto.net

You are not alone, Michael. I guess that I am like you. I love the equipment and gadgets. Allways wanting something different. And when it comes down to what to take, I take it all, when possible, and then select my gear when I arrive at the destination.

I remember the days when I had one lens and one camera. I thik it would not be fun to go back there, no macro, no long or extra-wide lenses... On the other hand I bought this here Leica and will limit myself to three lenses, max. I guess I got tired of hauling the heavy-weights, but don't think that I will get rid of them. Just take a break now and then, especially when traveling for fun.

Whatever you decide, have fun, life is short.

Regards, Tony

The "1+1" approach to being a disciplined phootgrapher only

works if you stick with it fro a few months and retrain your

photographic eye to see with that combination. You can't just do

it once or twice and judge the experiment from that limited

perspective. You also have to practice the discipline on a near

daily basis. I find that if I don't take a camera with me regularly

my "photographic muscle" gets weak.

This is not at all a crazy idea, and in fact many of my artist-type friends talk

about imposing limits on the range of tools they have in order to focus. Find a

way to work within the limits of a certain smaller set of tools can be a real relief

from trying to expand your collection of tools to meet (mostly imagined) lack of

some type. Its a tired old saw on photo forums but lots of the greats limited

themselves to a camera or two and a couple (or single) lens. Imogen

Cunningham etc.

After spending a couple weeks traveling up the california coast with only a

Canon Ql17, and finding this very liberating, I sold off all my medium format

and SLR stuff. I mean all of it. I bought a rangefinder body (an R2) and three

leica lenses. It felt and feels really, really nice. I shot lots more film. I am happy

with the results. I don't miss any of the stuff I sold.

My $.02

Time to clean house. You've reached the point of diminishing returns with regard to equipment. Overkill. It sounds like you've become more of an equipment collector than a maker of pictures. I can't imagine having all that stuff, it sounds like you've got everything under the sun.

It's what you say "No" to that's as important as anything else, after all, you can't do everything, and if you try, you'll end up accomplishing nothing.

Ivar makes a good point. Force yourself to go out with just one camera and one lens for a while and see how you like it. In time, you will know how frequently you use each piece of equipment you own. The items you don't use or seldom use you can then consider selling. The more confidence you have in your ability to take pictures you like with one camera and one lens the easier it will be to leave the rest at home. It is scary at first. I know :).

I've had a little Hexar Silver (AF) for close to 2 years. Other projects kept me from using it much and it sat around basically unused. In the past few months, I've been simplifying my excursions by becoming acclimated with the Hexar and constantly surprise myself with the results and gratifying end product. This morning, I went out specifically to do an idealic scene at a work mate's hobby farm. I drive by it every day and finally loaded up the 6X7 and went to do some shooting. The cows were cooperative, the light about 90% right but I felt sort of empty as I was packing up the gear to leave. It simply felt like work.... 12# pod and had a number of lenses along. The one I really needed was back in the car so a short hike to get geared up right and I was losing my light angles. Anyway, you get idea. I'll likely get a decent result, but the experience wasn't very fulfilling. I'm finding myself reconsidering the Bronica 645RF and if that works, I'll consider peddling some of the embarrassing quantity of gear I've accumulated over the years.

It used to be that I carried around two camera bodies and five lenses in a rucksack. I would only take all of this equipment when I was highly motivated. This resulted in me taking less photographs because I just couldn�t be bothered to take a camera with me � and when I tried to keep it simple I always felt regrets as to not having a particular lens with me.

I now have three cameras. The Canon EOS 5, Leica M6TTL and Hasselblad 501CM. Instead of having one extensive camera system, I now have three minimalist systems: one lens per camera. I use the Leica for most of my photography, and when I want a small and lightweight camera with a wide-angle lens (35mm). The Canon goes mostly unused, but whenever I need to take portrait or concert photographs I take the Canon along (I have an 85mm lens). The Hasselblad is brand-new, but for the moment I have been using it for landscapes and portraits, and anything else that requires the square format and extra attention to detail (for this camera, I have an 80mm lens). It�s also the camera in which I use colour film � for the others I favour black and white.

I have by no means restricted myself to one camera and one lens � but I have restricted each system in its use. When I recently went to Morocco, I knew that I would only need my Leica � the last thing I wanted was to bog myself down with heavy equipment that draws attention to itself.

Morocco folder:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=239307

I found myself in gear overload a few years back and finally went through my work and pulled out the prints that I felt best exemplified my vision, pulled out the equipment that was responsible, then sold everything else. In my case this was an M6 and a 50mm lens...augmented by an Xpan on rare occasions.<br>

<br>

Nothing is worse than standing in front of a closet of gear second-guessing which to bring along for the day. Many times I would end up leaving it all at home out of frustration...kinda counter-productive.<br>

<br>

As others have stated, having one lens and getting to know it intimately...so much so that you don't even need to hold the camera to your eye : you frame it in your mind first...is a remarkable thing. As with all artforms, limitation inspires the greatest range of creativity.<br>

<br>

Best, Jamie.<br>

<br>

jamie drouin : photographs<br>

<a href="http://www.jamiedrouin.com">http://www.jamiedrouin.com</a><br>

This is an interesting discussion. Of course, one can get bogged down with equipment, but sometimes the least likely piece will prove to be invaluable. A case in point: recently, I shot a feature involving street art (decorated fiberglass horses) in three cities. I used my M4 and CL bodies with five lenses (by the way, the CL's 40mm is one breathtaking piece of glass!). The 90mm stayed in the van most of the time, but then I came across a standout horse ("Genny," with mug in upraised hoof) on the roof of a Rochester brewery. Out came the 90, and the editor made that shot the signature photo of the feature. You never know.

I am not a pro, but an amateur. This may be backasswards, but it works for me: I never think about the subject, but only about what gear I want to use today. If I feel like my Leica M6 with a 50, that's what I take and that's what I make do with. For every picture I miss, there are many more I can make. If I feel like my Nikon F2AS with a 75-150 zoom, that's what I take and those are the pictures I make. Or a 28, or a 35, or a 90 - you get the drift. And then I don't worry about it - I just enjoy what I've got with me. But it is always one camera and one lens. It is ALWAYS enough! The really important part is to take enough film (any kind of film)and work it! It's a hobby - have fun! The object is to fill as many shoeboxes with pictures as I can before I die.

Hil

I'm with Yaron. I have been saving my pennies for a Hassy 903

SWC and when I can afford it I want to spend a year making

pictures only with it. Of course it will be tough since I work as a

photographer for a living.

I am very interested in this subject- I've never really had a

problem getting bogged down with equipment. I have several

systems- Nikon, Hasselblad, the Leica M's, 4x5. I generally

choose which equipment to use based either on what the client

wants, what I want to get, or what I will be seeing. I have fairly

limited lens options for each system, and there's lots of overlap-

I have basically a normal, a good wide or two and a good portrait

lens for each system, with a long tele or two thrown in for good

measure.

I shoot all kinds of things. I am an observer by nature, so my

work and interests in making pictures covers a lot of territory. I

have gadgets for doing macro work and such, (which I rarely do)

a viso for tele with the M's, (which I rarely use) and such, but

generally, I shoot Leicas when I want quick, pure and beautiful

work, Nikons when I need to frame accurately, 4x5 when I have

time, and the Hassy does only wedding formals and dust

collection. I think more about what is or will be in front of me

than what's in my hands or on the tripod. If I have to think a lot

about a camera, I'll sell it. I like toys, but I like to make pictures

and live my life more.

An alternate experiment is to pick a camera/lens for the day/week/month and choose one you haven't used in a while. If you don't get anything good out of it, its history. Unfortunately, I've never been lucky enough to not get some good results, but the only overlaps I have are between my wife and daughters kits and mine.

Michael,

You have my sympathies. Every time I go out to shoot I think, "One

body and one lens." I never take one body and one lens. Even when I

leave lenses behind to save my back I regret it. Like you, I have

equipment sprawl problems. I never sell or trade anything. At times,

like every day, I wish I could sell off half of this stuff.

The problem with photographic equipment is that if you are a serious

photographer you bought your stuff for good reason. Your idle stuff

served a purpose. Because of this, the chances are that it will serve

you again in the future.

The alternative to going from one extreme to another--from equipment

king to equipment monk--is to sort the stuff out and put it into

appropriate containers made for camera equipment. It will do much to

end what (I suspect) is a part of an aesthetic crisis (which we all go

through).

I suppose that if someone put a gun to my head (as the stock phrase

goes) and told me to choose one body and one lens it would be an M6

and my 'cron 35/2 ASPH.

Actually, a while ago, when I wrecked my back, my wife insisted I

limit myself to one body and two lenses. It was an M6, the 35/2 and

the VC 15/4.5. Until my back got better I wished I was a sub-mimi

freak content to go into the field with a pocket full of Minoxes.

To tell the truth, I would not choose an M5 as my one and only body.

Correct batteries are hard to come by and it is very expensive to

repair with a vital part breaks.

Anyway, Michael, good luck in dealing with your embarressment of

riches. You will. Don't worry.

Last suggestion. Take your M5 and 35/2 and go out and shoot a few

rolls. Really clears the brain.

Best,

Alex