What 35-40 lens for my M6?

rmeskill

<p>So I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive 35-40 lens for my M6. I have a Voigtlander 21/4 and an Elmar 50/2.8 Collapsible, and am trying to figure out what to get. I have the choice of a sub-$200 35/2.5 Color Skopar (LTM, non-pancake), a sub-$500 35/1.4 Nokton, and a just over $300 40/1.4 Nokton, all very very lightly used, essentially NIB, but can't make up my mind. Everyone's contacted me from the classifieds here, so some of you are probably reading this, and for that I'm sorry, I just can't figure out what's the best deal and which way to go.<br /> Seeing as I don't have any lenses with any really wide apertures yet I think I would probably like one of the 1.4s, but can't decide 1) if they're worth the extra money versus the 2.5 and 2) whether the 35 is worth the significant extra money. I know this is the Leica forum and I shouldn't be fussing over a couple hundred, but I just dropped a lot to start this kit and want a nice interim narrow wide angle until I can get a Summi down the road. Is the 35 that much wider/smaller to justify the extra extra ~$150, or is the 40 too close to my 50 to justify going for the 35?<br /> Any help would be appreciated-I just don't have much of a feel for the difference between a 35/40/50 and so can't really quantify the difference. I've always liked a 28/50 setup, but can do fine with a 35, and would definitely use it more if it was that fast and have never used a 40 before...</p>

<p>I don't subscribe to Sean Reid's reviews, but am impressed with those I have read. These are among the most comprehensive I have seen online. But I do possess a Zeiss 35mm f2 Biogon lens, and have been using it much more frequently lately than my Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH, or 35mm Summicron (ASPH and non ASPH) lenses. If you're looking for one very good 35mm lens, then you won't go wrong by acquiring a 35mm f2 Biogon.</p>

<p>I have both the 35/2.5 Color Skopar and the 40/1.4 Nokton. They are both good lenses, but for the M6, I like the Nokton better. Its field of view closely agrees with the (undersized) FOV of the M6 35mm framelines at all but very close distances. With my M2 or M3, the 35mm lenses are the closer match. Another option is the 40mm Minolta Rokkor lens, which is about equivalent to the 40mm Summicron-c, but is cheaper. </p>

<p>Any of the 40's will have to have their bayonet lug ground down about 1/2mm so as to bring up the 35mm frameline on an M.</p>

<p>I use a V/C Nokton 40 1.4 on my M3 and am thrilled with the performance. I don't shoot it wide open much but stopped down a bit it's as good as it gets. And it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's very well made. I also use the 40 V/C finder as my M3 has no 35mm framelines.</p>

<p>If you want high quality at a fairly low price go with the Biogon 35/2. I don't use one because its ergonomic don't go well with my Rapidwinders and Leicavit. Optically it is quite good and the build quality is probably superior to the Noktons. My Nokton 35/1.4 started coming apart in less than a year of use. If you want the absolute best, go for the Summicron 35/2 Asph. It is pricey but worth every penny or (in my case) yen.</p>

<p>I'll put in a recommendation for the old Summaron 35/2.8. It's not fast and furious, but it's an excellent lens. The build quality is as good as you might expect, and it is one of the most compact 35mm lenses out there. I get excellent results from mine in color or black and white. Of my collection of lenses, it is the one which spends the most time on my camera.</p>