Promaster 18-200 AF XR EDO Zoom Lens

ronda_sivils

<p>Ok, Folks....Educate me, cuz there is nothing online that gives me the truth about this lens. All I find online is where I can buy it, but I don't trust the sellers to say the truth about the quality of this lens. I've never heard of it before. Is it an off brand? <br>

I'm just starting out in the Digital world & got my 2nd digital camera a few years back. My 1st was a Sony that took floppy's...haha...I know, this was yearsssss ago! Have been a die hard 35mm gal forever. Finally conceded & took the plunge & am loving it. Just have a Nikon D50 for now. And just bought a 55-200mm AF VR lens for taking portraits. So....what about this Pro Master? Any help would be greatly appreciated. <br>

Also, miss having a "hard copy" photo in my hands, as with 35mm photography. The quality was so much better. Where is the best place to have my digital photos printed. Thanks in advance for your time in answering. </p>

<p>ProMasters are a "house brand" and it is nearly impossible to find out who actually made them. In many cases years ago, top-rate Japanese lens makers found American outlets through Spiratone (Spiralite) or Cambridge Cameras (Cambron). Nowadays, I think that few of these are made by so distinguished a crowd, and many are inexpensive lenses to start with. In short, if you check carefully, you will find now that you can usually get either the original manufacturer's lenses (in your case, Nikkor) in cheaper versions that are likely both superior and just as cheap as the knock-offs. If you want to play around with some of the alternatives, the "big three" independent makers (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) are far more likely to please you than things like Quantaray, Vivitar,* or ProMaster off-brands.</p>

<p>____<br>

*In days gone by, Vivitar "designed' lenses made to their specs by various Japanese top-flight makers. Some of them like the early "Series 1" lenses were of very high quality. I don't think that the current company has much in common with the company of the 60s and 70s. I think somebody likely bought the name(s) and is milking it for whatever they can make out of it.</p>

<p>Promaster does not make any of it's own lenses, as far as I know. I have a 19-35mm zoom with that name brand that was made by either Cosina, Tamron, or Tokina, depending on who you ask. It's a pretty sharp lens, but it has some serious barrel distortion (not a big problem for me because I shoot a lot of landscapes, where this is not as noticeable). Usually when you find a "good deal" there's a reason for it. If you are looking at it from a place with a good return policy, why not try it out and see if you like it. Otherwise, you might be better off saving up a little more for a lens that you can get more info on before buying.</p>

<p>I wouldn't even count on Cosina, Tamron or Tokina as probable candidates for the actual manufacturing of house brand marques. There are probably a dozen or more optical manufacturers behind the scenes, mostly Pacific Rim, who've made lenses, filters and other doodads to spec for various resellers. The actual names and locations of those manufacturers are known only to industry insiders so we'd just be guessing.</p>

<p>Thanks everybody! JDM...I had a Vivitar years ago & I was surprised that they were considered a "cheap" product now. What a shame. The one I had was great! Think I will save my pennies & get a Nikon. I've even been hearing some not so flattering talk about the Nikkor from Nikon. Things just aren't made like they used to be. Long for the good "old" days. Thanks again folks. It really helped!</p>

<p>In fact, given the naming, there is a slight clue that it may be a Tamron... The Tamron 18-200 also uses the <em>XR </em>designation. It's just a wild guess, but it would not surprise me if it's a Tamron 18-200 in disguise (like the Sony 18-250 is known to be a Tamron). But it's just a guess!<br>

I owned this Tamron, and with the D50 it was a decent lens. But like ALL superzooms, it presents a great number of trade-offs. Nikon's 18-200 is one of the best 18-200's available, and that still makes it a lens full of compromises.</p>

<p>If you long for the good old days, you can still get that quality. Just expect to pay for it. But Nikon pro lenses are still built to a very high standard. It's just that most people cannot or will not afford this, and so there are many cheaper constructions to fill that void.</p>

<p>+1 with Wouter.</p>

<p>If pro-master is same as Tamron 18-200 then I had Tamron 18-200 and it was really nice lens based on the price. Why buy pro-master? when you can buy Tamron 18-200 itself with 5 year warranty + mail in rebate :)</p>