One camera one lens: Alex Webb

david enzel

Doug,

Thank you for your post. I also have a copy of Hot Light/Half Made Worlds and agree it is excellent work.

Thanks to you I discovered Harry Gruyaert's work, which is excellent. Does he shoot Leica M too?

If you don't know Costa Manos's work you should check it out. He also is a Magnum photographer, who shoots Leica M. He has 2 books: American Color and Greek Portfolio., The first is color and the second B&W. I took a workshop with him this summer. A great fellow and a Leica fan.

Thanks for your post.

David,<P>

Thanks for the pointer to Manos. He's a new one on me - I'll check him out.<P>

Don't yet know what Gruyaert uses - though from looking, I strongly suspect it's an M. It would be interesting to have that confirmed, or not, if anyone knows for sure.

Given the number of Magnum shooters who use Leica, you'd think Leica would work out some sort of deal with them, a la their arrangements with Ralph Gibson and Nan Goldin.<P>

Doug

• 2 months later...

Alex Webb and Harry Gruyaert happen to be two of my favorite photographers. I have had the great opportunity to meet and have a chat with Alex a couple of times during his assignment for NG in Istanbul. he has also showed me some of his pictures from his earlier trip to istanbul. there were some real great pictures which never made through to the magazine. for that we can only blame the conservative approach of National Geographic.(and I must admit I really don't think NG can be serious with their photo page showing some of the pictures that are not published in the magazine). I would guess those great pictures will be accesible on magnum's archives soon. his pictures from some years earlier are there as well.

Alex Webb uses MOSTLY 35 mm. but carries a camera with a 28 mm. on him as well and a 50 mm. together with him. he also occasionally uses an Canon F1 with a tele zoom from time to time.

Gruyaert does use an M6 with a 50 mm. summilux. I saw that on a Leica catalog. from what I can tell from his pictures this must be the combination he uses most often. but some of his pictures still seem to be taken with a tele.

• 9 years later...
<p>When I have a zoom on I ALWAYS shoot at the longest end, usually 85mm.. That destroys my photography.. So I´ve stopped and are using a 28mm and a 50mm now. Much better for my photography and for me. Im forced to get close and be a part of the scene. There is no easy way to great images. You just have to get your hands dirty, and sometimes even plunge your head down into the mudhole..</p>