Tick Repellant

revonda

<p > I was horrified when I noticed several ticks crawling all over me while out shooting yesterday. Although tempted to run and scream I was so close to a beautiful hawk I didn’t want to leave so I just clicked and flicked. Ticks are always a hazard when shooting out in nature but I try not to use any repellant for fear of it getting on my lenses. Anyway with them (ticks) being so bad this season what is the best repellant you guys would recommend?</p>

<p>Use DEET on exposed skin and Permethrin-based insecticide on clothing. DEET has no repellent effect on clothing, and Permethrin is ineffective on skin. Permethrin will stun and eventually kill ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies. Use as directed.</p>

<p>You can buy Permethrin sprays at any hunting supply shop (e.g., Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops or Gander Mountain). (I about said "Sporting Goods" shops, but that doesn't apply in the Chicago area.)</p>

<p>Permanone is the spray that treats clothes. Available at mountaineering/outdoors stores and on line. Clothes reportedly remain insect repellant for dozens of washings. I used the product to keep mosquitoes and malaria at bay in Africa. Easy to use. Don't skimp on application though.<br>

DEET is for exposed areas. 33%, 50% or 100% mixtures are all equally effective but last different amounts of time from what I'm told. It is also nasty, so use it sparingly only on exposed skin areas. WARNING: IT WILL DESTROY SYNTHETIC MATERIALS. That means polyester, rayon, spandex, GoreTex, and pretty much every part of your camera except the glass and metal. Keep it well off fingers and palms. Keep wipes with you to clean hands after applications of DEET.<br>

All this said, the combination proved completely effective for me in Africa and my equipment came back home in perfect condition. You just have to take precautions and be aware of the risks.</p>

<p>For ticks (and fleas for that matter) wear long pants, long-sleeve shirts, and socks all treated with permethrin. I get mine at REI in kits complete with plastic bags ready to soak about two outfits. Air dry. They claim it stands up to maybe a dozen washings. If you can, also soak canvas shoes.<br>

Unless you are going to get down on the ground, that should do it. Where mosquitoes are a problem, like Africa, you MUST also use a DEET liquid on your exposed skin but the cautions above are true. I once dissolved the red handle on a Swiss Army knife in my shirt pocket when a bottle of DEET leaked (it looked like I had been shot). A 20 - 30% strength has been recommended to me for tropical conditions; anything more concentrated dries the skin too much.</p>

<p>Deet is effective, as others have state above.</p>

<p>If 100% Deet solutions are available in your area use that. In my experience, anything less than 100% Deet does not last long enough...and because deet is so nasty to almost all equipment, I don't want to be re-applying it in the field (with the associated risk of getting it on my gear).</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>I've been an active outdoorsman for over half a century now, growing up on a farm. I honestly don't think DEET deters ticks at all. Not a bit. It was designed to confuse the sensory organs of mosquitos and I've never seen it do much of anything against ticks, chiggers (relatives of ticks) or even biting flies. What I know does work is the permethrin sprays on clothing. Walmart sells Repel permethrin in their sporting goods dept. It comes in a small blue can. You can also buy permethrin as a powder and use it to treat your clothes in the wash. One application should last through several washings. Read the instructions. This stuff goes on your clothes. It really does work against ALL biting insects. Again, my personal experience over many years is that DEET really does little or nothing to prevent ticks.<br>

<a href="http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-versus-permethrin-as-a-tick-repellent">http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-versus-permethrin-as-a-tick-repellent</a><br>

<a href="http://www.ctsportsmen.com/deet_vs_permithrin.htm">http://www.ctsportsmen.com/deet_vs_permithrin.htm</a></p>

<p>Permethrin gives 100% protection:<br>

<a href="http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm">http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm</a></p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I treat my outdoor outfits with Permethrin purchased at REI. I recommend the soak the clothes with Permethrin approach as opposed to the spray it on approach. Soaking is much more effective. IMO 30% DEET works better than 100% DEET. DEET is for skin; Permethrin is for outer clothes.<br>

In Texas, in tick country, I wear outdoor pants from LL Bean with a special inside cuff in the leg to keep the ticks from crawling up your legs. Another approach is to tuck your pant legs into your boots or wear long hiking socks treated in Permethrin and tuck your pants into the socks. You get the idea. Ticks can get on you from trees and bushes so you need to guard your upper body too. I often wear a bug net over my wide brimmed hat. My bug net has been treated with Permethrin.</p>

<p>Joe Smith</p>

<p>Living in the Lyme disease capital of the US (Dutchess County,NY),I can offer the following advice. Tuck everything in, use sprays. But there is no substitute for visual inspection. Especially check backs of limbs, and places that aren't easily seen. It takes 24 hours for them to burrow into you.</p>

<p>I simply stand in front of a mirror after I shower when I've been outdoors. If any ticks are on me, they are usually still running around. You have to catch them and kill them, via intense squeezing or with a match. When one does manage to burrow into your skin. It needs to be removed completely. There are tools that do this. But it is best to have a medical professional remove it for you. Especially if there is a high amount of tick borne illnesses in your area.</p>

<p>Right, DEET does absolutely nothing to deter ticks. Mosquitos and such - yes, but for ticks the only sure-fire solution is fire (i.e. burn the grass field) or not getting in tall grass...</p>

<p>For some protection, dress properly (long sleeves, long pants in long boots), use permethrin on your clothes and look yourself over very carefuly after every outing (also in places that the sun don't shine...) And visit a doctor immediately if you find ticks on you and feel funky or the bites are inflamed (lyme disease can be friggin' serious!)</p>

<p>Repellent on clothes is fine, but you can reduce your own scent & "palatability." I would add some daily B vitamins, more garlic and fish oil in your diet(s). While the added vitamins help in general, they make your skin and odor less enticing to many biting insects. Okay, I'll 'fess up and say that it works for me and many others. The little buggers leave me alone 'cuz they think I stink! Good!</p>

<p>I know this is completely different, but it works for me. Also it depends how deep in the bush you go, but I purposely wear very light clothing and sandals so I can feel the buggers crawling on me. I've caught them while they were crawling up my leg, arms and neck. I use to wear long sleeves, pants, hiking boots, until I brought some unwanted friends home and they were introduced to my dogs. </p>