New Kodak 8mm film

<p>I used to shoot Super-8 and I loved it. Seriously, seriously loved it. Expensive though for someone on a low income! The one thing that I didn't take kindly to back then (the early '90s) was the idea that a Super-8 Kodachrome frame had HD-like resolution. Of course this was nonsense. Maybe with modern emulsions it's possible. But not with Kodachrome. And you'd need really good lenses anyway. Many cameras didn't have great optics.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Kodak just doesn't get it. This film is ISO 100 and the other new Ektachrome they brought out a year or two ago when they dumped Kodachrome 40 was ISO 64. Some higher-end Super 8 cameras have the ability to sense 64 or 100, but a huge range of Super 8 cameras -- probably the majority -- could only sense ISO 40 for Kodachrome 40 and ISO 160 for Ektachrome 160. As you will recall, Super 8 cartridges had a notch cut into them to indicate the film speed and the cameras had a lever that was moved up or down by the notch to automatically set the speed. The system was capable of indicating a wider range of speeds but most cameras weren't built to do so since 40 and 160 were the only two speeds that most people ever used. (A few cameras could manually set film speed but those were rare.) Kodak invented this system, so they should know better. The 64 speed film will get overexposed in most Super 8 cameras because they will see it as ISO 40, and this new film will get underexposed because they will see it as 160.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I agree with the previous post. If Kodak is developing newer Super 8 films (which is great), why not produce films that a majority of the Super 8 cameras out there can read, in addition to the newer ones? Wouldn't more people purchase the film then? Super 8 cameras haven't been built for many years, but a majority read 40 and 160 ASA. I understand why Kodachrome 40 movie film was discontinued, but why axe Ektachrome 160? Was it a different process for developing than the current Ektachrome 100D? Fell out of flavor? I'd prefer a film that was grainy in a camera I can use versus finer grained film in a camera that can't read the film notch, especially since some cameras can't accept ND filters. I recently bought a Canon 814 that is supposed to be able to read the new 100 speed film (haven't tried it yet though), but we will see! <br>

I am happy though that Kodak is continuing to support this medium.. fantastic company!</p><div>00WRs4-243649584.jpg.96e97ab079e2634ac65503524db2e754.jpg</div>