Lens Fungus/Mould

<p>What are the best ways of preventing a lens being stricken with fungus/mould?<br>

Is it possible for Canon L series lens that are sealed against moisture/dust to become victim?<br>

How do you store your lens? Does anyone use a purpose built dry cabinet?</p>

<p>It's best to store lenses in cool, dry environments. </p>

<p>I store most of my lenses in cardboard boxes in my basement with a dehumidifier running. Those that I use more frequently are stored upstairs in a filing cabinet in Lowepro lens cases with silica sachets (as are the more valuable lenses in the basement). I also have silica sachets in all of my camera bags.</p>

<p>While I have acquired a couple of lenses with fungus, I've never had a lens develop a "case" of fungus while in my possession. </p>

<p>First of all you should know the climate conditions you live in concerning Humidity, as to know how much in danger you are.<br>

I live in a rather dry area, Jerusalem, far from the sea. In any case all my gear is stored in a room where a ventilator moves the air each six hours for a quarter of an hour. An additional tip may be to have your lens out of any bag, as much as possible.<br>

Some technicians of photogear are knowledgeable in dismounting and fungus cleaning lens, this service not being necessarily expensive.</p>