Reliable Memory Card Reader

chauncey_huffman

<p>Any recommendations for a reliable and sturdy memory card reader? I've gone through a Belkin and two Targus card readers in the past year. No, I haven't bashed them against the wall or dropped them. They just sit on my desk and are under normal temperature conditions etc, they just stop working. I don't mind spending the money for a good one if anyone has some real world experience with a good product. Thanks!</p>

<p>It might be more interesting to find out what sort of USB hub you had your (deceased) readers plugged into. Could be handing out voltage spikes or doing something else nasty. Just as a precaution, I'd avoid directly connecting a camera to that same port/hub.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response Matt! I plug it into the front USB port on my Mac Pro. I haven't had troubles with anything else not working when plugged into that port. I hope that's not the case, b/c I routinely plug a portable hard drive into that port! I suppose that once I get a new reader I could keep it permanently plugged into a port on the back of the computer.</p>

<p>hmmmm - I've got a no-name (although I think it's a belkin under the skin) 8 - 1 reader that I got from Target 4 years ago... Saying that I abuse it is probably a bit of an understatement, as it is at the bottom of my event "bucket" and routinely gets dropped, computers, etc..piled on it and other things that are too weird to mention.</p>

<p>Never had a problem with it....</p>

<p>Dave</p>

I used earlier a Sandisk about 3-, then 12-in-1 USB 2 card reader without problems; later one my sister is using now & seemed to have lost track of the former during 3 year old move. Currently I am happy to use a "Lexar Professional UDMA CompactFlash SD Reader (USB 2.0)".