Spyder Express or Spyder Pro??

<p>Does anybody own Spyder 2 or 3 Pro? If so, do you use the advanced settings on it at all?</p>

<p>The Pro version has 4 choices of colour temperature and 4 choices of gamma settings. The Express version only allows native or 6500K for colour temp and 2.2 for gamma. From what I have been reading, these settings are what most people use anyway and are the standard.</p>

<p>I only use one monitor for editing so I don't need to buy the Pro version for multiple monitors but was wondering if I really am going to need the choice of colour temp and gamma settings. </p>

<p>I am new to colour management so it's hard to see whether I will need the Pro version later on or if the Express version is sufficient enough. Under what conditions will I find that I need to change the standard settings?</p>

<p>Appreciate any help!<br>

Thanks.....</p>

<p>The Spyder2 Pro is long discontinued and nearly impossible to find, even a used one. This model was replaced by the current Spyder3 Elite. The current Spyder3 Pro has fewer features, particularly regarding Luminance. The Spyder3 Pro will report the measured luminance once the profile is created , but does not allow you to set a specific target Luminance value. Only the Spyder3 Elite does that.</p>

<p>My opinion, having used the Spyder2 and Spyder3 products for a few years, is that you should do well with the Spyder3 Pro. But you'll have to do some experimenting with setting your Brightness control to achieve a desired Luminance target.</p>

<p>http://spyder.datacolor.com/s3compare.php<br>

http://spyder.datacolor.com/s3ecompare2.php</p>

<p>For monitor calibration I've found that the spyder pro 3 does very well and allows you to adjust lumanance according to your ambient light where your monitor is. The older x-rite Eyeone Display 2 is always as reliable as can be as well. It's a pretty simple advanced calibration on the D2 but you would be able to use it on as many monitors as you want to. I've got friends that have lent them out to other friends with the software and split the cost. Usually around $250. </p>

<p>Why I would suggest a Spyder3 pro for a beginner:<br>

-The colorimeter is already capable of handling wide gamut displays. The standard X-Rite Display v.2 is not. (An exception is the NEC branded X-Rite device which is part of the Spectraview II package. It has been specially tuned to calibrate NEC's wide gamut displays.)<br /> -Upgrading from the Spyder3 Pro to Elite software is inexpensive.<br /> -The Spyder3 Pro colorimeter is compatible with just about all popular monitor profiling software.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. <br>

<strong>Do any of you use a colour temp outside of 6500K or do you use any of the 'non-standard' gammut settings (i.e. NOT 2.2). </strong></p>

<p>I am new to colour management and just can't forsee when I will need to deviate from the standard settings. I only have 1 monitor so I won't need to calibrate dual monitors. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. <br>

<strong>Do any of you use a colour temp outside of 6500K or do you use any of the 'non-standard' gammut settings (i.e. NOT 2.2). </strong></p>

<p>I am new to colour management and just can't forsee when I will need to deviate from the standard settings. I only have 1 monitor so I won't need to calibrate dual monitors. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do any of you use a colour temp outside of 6500K or do you use any of the 'non-standard' gammut settings (i.e. NOT 2.2).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Use a CCT color temp value that produces a match to the prints you view by the display under controlled lighting. There is no “correct” value other than the one that matches. <br>

Use 2.2 TRC gamma (or Native if that’s an option). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>OK, so what I am getting at is......do I really need to buy the Spyder 3 Pro version if I am going to be using the standard gamma or CCT anyway? Just trying to cut down on any unnecessary costs. Seems like I may as well get Spyder 3 Express. Am I correct??<br>

Thanks.....</p>

<p>The hardware (Spyder 3) is the same, its the functionality in the various software packages that you are paying for. And I can’t see how a product can be very useful at all without providing control over the luminance and color of white. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)