Muir Woods - San Francisco

magicrathd

<p>Hello,<br /><br />I have an opportunity to spend some time in and around San Francisco. Previous posts I've found on this forum have given me some great info about locations throughout the city and vantage points for the bridge - thanks for that. I'm very interested in landscape photography, and anxious to spend some time in Muir Woods. I have about 1 full day to spend in and around that area. I was hoping someone might help with a few prep questions.<br /><br />Can you get into Muir Woods before sunrise? Is there any reason to? If not - where should I spend my sunrise that day?<br /><br />I enjoy hiking, so I suspect I'd enjoy an entire day in Muir woods for that alone. From a photography perspective, is it worth spending a full day if I'm focused on the trees (less focused on macro)? Is there a particular place to be sure I explore and/or a particular time to be sure I'm at that location?<br /><br />If Muir Woods isn't a full day photography trip - what else in the area should I turn my attention to (besides the bridge)? I'm happy to stray well beyond the parking lot of any location. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I don't know that I'll have the time to get as far as Yosemite this time around. Anything within a 2 hour drive of SF seems reasonable for a single day.<br /><br />Lastly - I've enjoyed Rodney Lough's gallery in SF in the past and aim to stop there again. Any other photography galleries in the area that I might visit?<br /><br />Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.<br /><br />Andy</p>

<p>Muir Woods opens at 8:00 AM. It's part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The larger website has some suggested "Other Places to Go" which might give you some ideas.</p>

<p>http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm</p>

<p>Mount Tamalpais State Park is nearby and opens at 7:00 AM so that might be a little closer to sunrise and more panoramic views.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As Craig noted, Muir Woods officially opens at 8am, but my recollection is that there isn't a gate to keep people out at other times, and you could probably wander in earlier.</p>

<p>But my experience with Muir Woods is that the best time to be there is when it's raining lightly. You will get very nice light, and no crowds. The "no crowds" is the important part.</p>

<p>However, you need to understand that in much of Muir Woods, you are constrained to stay on a boardwalk/path. I don't know that it would be practical to try to do macro work under those circumstances.</p>

<p>Also, my experience is that you can easily spend 3-4 hours there, but I tend to saturate after that.</p>

<p>If Redwoods are your goal, you might also want to look South. Portola State Park, Sam McDonald County Park, Higgins-Purissima (part of the Mid Peninsula Open Space district) and other places along skyline boulevard south of SF. They're closer, easier to get to, less crowded and have a similar environment. I second the motion regarding cloudy/foggy days - nice light. Sunny days tend to be way too contrasty. Also, if you plan on visiting a California state park, check to make sure it is open. Many of the smaller ones have closed due to budget constraints (e.g. Butano State Park). </p>

<p>If you're a hiker, Muir Woods is also accessible from some backside hiking trails.<br>

In my brief excursion there, I couldn't get everything in the frame. A wide-angle is going to be your friend on these... no, really, they are big beyond belief!</p>

<p>As Tom mentioned there are trails that come down the mountain and put you at the back of Muir Woods - this is a lovely way to enter rather than jostling with lots more cars and buses at the main entrance. Get a map of the region and you will see one of the campgrounds/parking lots a little above and north of the woods. </p>

<p>One can hike out down to Stinson beach as well, have a bit of food and drink, there are trails above there that provide some excellent views. You eventually have to hike back up unless you'll have two cars, but you'll have some great hikes either way.</p>

<p>There is another lot further up near the outdoor theatre that will give you a fairy tail view of the city - many times if the fog is in you'll see bits of the golden gate and the taller buildings sticking out from the clouds like some Walt Disney castle. </p>

<p>Also the Pelican Inn is nearby - another nice place to have a bite to eat and an ale.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions. I'm happy to report that i was unable to take the perfect picture of these big old trees, but had a helluva time trying. I got there early enough on a Friday where the main trail was still pretty quiet. I opted for the Bootjack trail -> TCC trail -> Ben Johnson -> back to the ranger station and what a wonderful day it was. When I returned... Wow! where did all these people come from? It was an absolutely perfect day, I'm just glad I got to enjoy the main trail before the crowds arrived. <br>

Here are some initial images (some processing but pre- dust removal!) of my time in SF and Muir Woods. <br>

http://photography.57thstreet.net/fineArt/proofs/sf/</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone.<br>

Andy</p>

<p>I've never done it, but a lot of people camp at Muir Woods. That's one way to be there at sunrise. Muir Woods is in a deep valley, so the sun may not hit some areas until 8 or later. If you continue past the entrance on the main road for another 500 - 1000 meters, you can park your car and look down over this valley as the sun rises. It can be spectacular when whisps of fog are involved. That's your best bet for a sunrise shot.</p>

<p>Beware that the road to Muir Wood will full of hairpin turns. Also it's EXTREMELY popular with bicyclists. Be VERY careful when driving on this road. If some local idiot tailgates you, be prepared to pull into a turnout and let him pass if you can do so safely.</p>