Wait or not to wait ....for Nikon 700x?

magnus2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>The D700 is overpriced in the marketplace for what it does. Wait for a another full frame camera. I understand that Nikon places an emphasis on high ISO performance but 12 MP does not cut it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>John Shaw is shooting with two D3's. Lots of sports and PJ shooters use D3's every day. Hi-res cameras have their advantages, but the D3/D700 chip definitely "cuts it" for a lot of applications.</p>

<p>I'm in the same situation, having skipped the D700 because of its similar resolution and similar IQ at low-iso. Its advantages don't seem worth the expense for me. D300 is good enough for most jobs, and DX is not too inferior to FX. Since there are fine wide angle lenses like the Nikkor 10-24mm or Tokina 11-16mm, it's none of a problem now.</p>

<p>If high-iso performance is an urgent necessity for some reason, then get the D700 without hesitation. Otherwise you may wait like me & many others until Nikon delivers a higher-mp FX possibly with video function to be called D800, D900 or D700x, 18mp or 24mp as rumored. The problem is nobody really knows how much time is left; it could be announced tomorrow or a year later. Before this happens, there is a chance we may see a D700s (D700 + video + slightly improved noise characteristics) too.</p>

<p>Hi Turgot,</p>

<p>Beautiful images on your PN page!</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to <em>someday</em> upgrading from my D90, but I will readily admit that is only because it's fun to get new toys. At this point, I have a long ways to go to get the most out of my D90, and loving every minute of the experience. </p>

<p>How much of an improvement will an 18 mp 'D800' be over a 12.1 mp D700? How much use do you see yourself getting from the video function on a 'D800?'</p>

<p>I just bought a D700 about a month or so ago. This is after having the excellent A850, CZ 24-70 and 70-400G lenses.<br>

I don't regret it one bit - sure I lose something in the XTREME DETAIL area, but for my shooting the D700 is a much better matchup. <br>

Plus, and this is me - I really hated processing loads of 24MP files. Those things are huge and bogged down my system pretty well (Quad core 4gb RAM Windows 7). <br>

There are some bummers with a super high res camera - Your lens faults are going to be magnified a lot, and your technique mistakes are going to have much worse consequences on high MP, otherwise you lose your detail advantage.</p>

<p> </p>