which lens for walk around at Disney?

scgalloways

<p>hi all. I own a canon 20d and 30d and recently bought the new canon t2i. I wanted a lighter camera for when I was just doing the family thing but still with options to change lenses. the t2i fit that bill. We are leaving next week to go to Disney in Florida and i'd like to take one lens that will be a light compliment to the camera, not be cumbersome on rides and still get in a good range for shots. I'd like to only carry ONE or maybe TWO lenses at the most. This is what I own:<br>

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 nice, sharp lens<br>

Canon 70-200 f4 L non-is, pretty light, but also long<br>

Canon 50mm f1.8 nice sharp lens, but limited range<br>

Canon 85mm f1.8 again nice lens but limited range<br>

Canon 17-55 mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens came with t2i, not a bad lens but nothing near the 17-55 f2.8<br>

Sigma 10-20mm<br>

i'm leaning towards the 28-75, and the 10-20</p>

<p>OR<br>

I am open to the option of renting a lens if someone has any idea of what would be good for getting me down to one lens. Some that crosssed my mind were Canon 24-70 L, 24-105 L, or 17-55 IS 2.8.</p>

<p>You're good to go with what you have. (It really sounds like you want the 17-55/2.8. I love mine and think everyone should have one, but it can wait until after the vacation. OTOH, maybe flip a coin up to 3 times, until it comes out the way you like. You'll get those wide shots without having to switch lenses.)</p>

<p>Sorry for intruding onto the Canon forum, since I shot Nikon, but my all time favorite lens is the 18-200 for a walk around at the parks. </p>

<p>I've been to both (plus cruises) several times and never have been hassled for taking photos... Closest I came to it was during a show (which they are pretty protective of) and someone was shooting with a flash. The usher came over and stood - watching for the offender and once he spotted him that was that. I resumed shooting (no flash) without issues.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The last time I went to Disney World I left my bag of equipment at home. I purchased the Canon S90 camera and was amazed at the results it gets. It has an f/2 lens that covers 28-105 which works for a majority of shots. Plus it was designed not to go overboard on megapixels but instead focus on image quality - particularly low light quality. That works great in places that don't allow flash. A real "stealth" camera.</p>

<p>Its exhausting enough getting yourself and family through a day at a Disney park without a bag full of camera equipment. Besides, its not a lot of fun trying to get on and off rides with a bag of camera stuff. If you are trying to capture you and your family having fun then a P&S seems like the way to go.</p>

<p>I'm no much of a ride person, so my husband and son will mainly be riding the rides. I usually only ride the family rides and since we'll have a 5 year old that should work out well. Most of the things I ride shouldn't be an issue with a shoulder bag. The ti2 i just bought is in the Rebel line so much smaller than my 20 and 30d. I think i'm going to just plan to take the 28-75 tamron and the 10-22 wide. The last time we went was 10 years ago, I took only a point and shoot and really didn't take pics of the shows other than the Indiana Jones stunt show. There is a Canon 18-200 that is pretty good too and light. I bought it once before then turned around and sold it but I wouldn't be opposed to considering renting it.<br>

Brett, thanks for the link to the Disney board I will certainly check that out!</p>

<p>I just did a 10 day cruise with ONE camera and lens. 7D plus the 17-55 2.8 IS. The combo worked great. I just didn't want to pack up a flash for the full frame camera so I took the 7D. Last year I also did the Disney thing, no issues with my then 40D and 17-55 2.8 IS lens. Have fun. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>If you can afford to drop the cash pickup a G11 or S90 and work with those.Since you are probably shooting in daylight you can safely expose at base ISO and obtain great IQ. Both cameras offer RAW capture and are easy to use since you are already a Canon user. An extra battery or two would be good though you can probably shoot all day on a single battery. If you have a small ETTL flash like a 430 that can be used for fill when needed. Also a small pod for evening fireworks!<br>

The heat in Florida will also be a factor so don't discount that.</p>

<p>When you look back at pictures from years ago, what photos stand out as memorable? I'm guessing that you will value anything with a family member in it, family photos in the context of novel background. Therefore you need a wide enough lens to include contextual background yet still keep the dominant feature the foreground people. Ergo, go wide, and leave the really long glass at home. I had big glass at Disney in Orlando, and they didn't give me any problem, but a tripod might draw more unwanted attention. Some of our best family photos were done with a P&S camera.</p>

<p>I just got back from a trip to Legoland in Carlsbad, CA. I took my 40D, my Canon 17-55 IS 2.8, my Canon 70-200 IS 2.8, and my 580EXII flash. By the end of the day I was really wishing I had skipped the 70-200 and the 17-55 and opted for just my Tamron 28-300 VC 3.5-6.3 (which I had bought with the intention of using as a general walk-around lens) and the 580EXII. Although the Tamron is nowhere near as fast as to the two Cannon lenses, it has a larger focal range and is lighter than the two Canon lenses combined. Moreover, I have found that having a flash--especially to use as a fill--is <em>very </em>helpful because lots of things in the theme parks tend to cast shadows, including the baseball caps that my kids wear. :-)<br>

<br />Based on your current lens selection, I would go with the 28-75 and, maybe, the 70-200 (if you don't mind carrying the added weight). I've got a Canon 10-22 but rarely use it and don't think you'll get much use out of your 10-22 at Disney. If you've got a hotshoe flash, bring that too (if weight is an issue, bring the flash and leave the 70-200 at home).</p>

<p>With the point and shoots many of you have suggested, the S90, Fuji 200 EXr, G11...how is the battery life? Are they AA or rechargeable or an ion lithium battery? I've never had luck with battery life on my point and shoots, but then it's been a long time since i've shot with one. I'd probably be charging it each night at the resort and dumping my photo files to the laptop to clean off my card.</p>

<p>I think i'm going to take my 18-55mm IS 3.5-5.6 kit lens, not the best, but it does pretty well with IS and should be fine for the day shots. I'll just have to decide now if I want the wide, the longer tele-photo or one that I can use in lower light like the 50 or 85. </p>

<p>I would buy and use the new Canon powershot s90. It is a great solution! After a day in the park you will be glad and very happy with the results. The camera is so hot you can hardly find them. I would for sure go try one if possible. There are many times during your stay you will leave the camera in the room not so with the S90. I also might add a small clamp type tripod. You can own this camera for close to the price of a rental of a good lens.</p>