Fixed lens mechanical rangefinder

Hi,

I have been considering a Konica Auto S2 from Weber Camera but was wondering about other rangefinders that can be operated without

a battery that I should be considering. I am used to using a separate light meter with my 120 cameras so am not too bothered about a

working meter and the various adapters you might have use with some of these older cameras because of their defunct batteries. Is this

possible with a Yashica Lynx 14/1000/5000?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Matt.

<p>Hi Matthew, there are a number of rangefinders that you can consider and they include the Canonet QL17, Olympus XA, Minoltas and Yashicas.</p>

<p>For that can operate without batteries, you can check out the Voigtlander Vito series. Some of them like the Vitomatic II has a coupled rangefinder.</p>

<blockquote>

Is this possible with a Yashica Lynx 14/1000/5000?

</blockquote>

<p>

All three will work without batteries. The Lynx 14 and 5000 will lose the meter, the 1000 has a Selenium

cell meter which needs no batteries (but may well be dead by now anyway).

</p>

<p>

If you really want to spoil yourself then hunt down a Konica IIIA. It has a gloriously large and bright finder

with parallax- and field-of-view correction, a wonderful 50mm f/1.8 Hexanon lens, shutter speeds from 1 ->

1/500s, and a heft and build quality that makes handling it a joy.

</p>

<p>The early Konica rangefinders (such as the Konica I that I have) have great fixed lenses and no meter and they're not too expensive. I tried the Minolta 7s and had good results from that (and they're cheap if bulky). The smaller 7sII is well regarded, but mine was dissapointing.</p>

<p>Try this post<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00VxpA">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00VxpA</a></p>

<p>The Canon QL17 G-III also works sans battery.<br>

Another old tank is the Topcon 35S or 35L. 44mm f/2 lens, but most importantly a wonderful 1:1 finder. But the frameline is Albada, not bright-line. More conventional than the Konica IIIA. Heavy, solid, usual high-quality Topcor optics. Uncommon, can be pricey. <br>

All the Aires leaf-shutter rangefinder cameras are quite nice as well, particularly those with a bright-line finder. They had a patented finder design that was clever and nice, made for a simple finder with great bright lines. Doesn't have a sharp-edged RF patch like a Leica M, but otherwise lovely. Not of the same construction quality as the Topcon, the internal fit and finish are crude, and the shutter cocking mechanism is fragile. The 45mm f/1.9 H-Coral lens is quite fine.</p>

<p>Retinas - Earlier (pre-60s) ones have the advantage of folding down to pocket size and excellent lenses, but have rather 'squinty. viewfinders compared to the later Japanese r/f compacts . . . some of which are really rather large.</p>

I checked out the Topcon, an interesting camera and one I will look out for. I had researched Retinas for the

very reasons you listed Alan. Not sure I want to get involved with a folder and issues they sometimes bring. If I did my

own repair work it would make life easier.

<p>There are one or two very nice models in the <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/petri35.htm">Petri Color 35 range (link)</a> . Whist Petri were often not considered to be in the top-most tier, many Petri compacts are somewhat under-appreciated and thereby can be reasonably priced. However they are scarce in some countries.I beleive all cameras in that series had meters - I don't know if, or how. they were coupled.</p>

<p>At the really cheap and cheerful end, the later Ricoh 500G and related series have great lenses, and a few models have interesting features like multi-exposure (500ME) - as well as the funky (very noisy) clockwork winder. Most use silver cells and they can meter in manual mode and AE mode (or just forget the meter).</p>