m645 1000s shutter speed wheel issue

a._krem

<p>hi all,</p>

<p>today i noticed that my m645 body's shutter speed wheel has become very loose. when changing speeds it no longer has any 'click' lock from speed to speed. it just rotates almost completely smoothly when the wheel's center button is pressed in. it's always had a nice solid click when changing speed. for some reason it's now very hard to move between 30 and 15 settings - i really have to force it between just those two speeds.</p>

<p>so how do i fix this? can i adjust it myself?</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>Mine has worked in that way since I bought it used - button locks at all speeds. Thought I remembered that was normal, now you've got me thinking!<br>

I was a repairer 'til 10 years ago but memory isn't what it was.<br>

Got to go out now but I'll check the manual or take the speeds dial apart later today & let you know.<br>

David.</p>

<p>Hi, as I thought, this is how it's supposed to work. Press lock-button to change setting. There is no "click-stop" detent such as a ball bearing/spring. It shouldn't be possible to turn the wheel without pressing the button.<br /> User manual is available free from Mike Butkus, method of use is on page 27.<br>

Had a quick look inside mine anyway, just to refresh my memory.You'll need a size 00 (2mm.) X-point screwdriver & a 2.5 - 3mm. thin-bladed flat screwdriver.Peel "leather" from centre button, remove 2 screws, button lifts off.<br>

Make sure you remember the speed setting.<br /> <br /> 3 screws are now visible, these hold the speeds wheel on. With the wheel off the mechanism is obvious - the single slot-head screw in the small bracket to the left is the stop-screw. It prevents the spring-loaded slotted ring from turning until the ring is pressed down by the button.<br /> Work on a cleared table and watch out for loose parts, particularly the stop-screw, falling out as you dismantle the mechanism. It's likely the stop-screw has come adrift and is jammed in the slotted ring. Could be something else though.<br /> <br /> I do have a workshop manual but there's only a superficial exploded drawing of this mechanism - it's operation is too obvious for anything more to be needed by a repairer. Like most factory workshop manuals it assumes a degree of prior experience - sorry.</p>

<p>Just picked up one of my two 1000S bodies and checked to make sure I wasn't losing my memory. There SHOULD be detents on all the speed settings. This is how both of mine work: Press the centre knob button to allow rotation of the knob, while button is pressed knob will "click" into place on all speeds and lock when button is released. If button is released between speeds (tricky to do), knob can be rotated to one of the the nearest speed settings where it jumps into place with a distinct and audible click. Even with lock button depressed there is a reasonable stiffness to the turning motion. So I'm sorry to say that I think something has come adrift in both the OP's and David's speed changing mechanism.</p>

<p>Never had the speed knob apart, but most click stops work with either a ball-and-spring detent or a shaped leaf spring which pops into a series of slots or shallow holes. The Mamiya knob feels too precise and positive for a leaf spring, so I suspect there's a small ball-bearing and recessed pressure spring hidden away somewhere. Take care not to lose these when dismantling!</p>

<p>Rodeo Joe, sorry if my post was unclear.<br>

By "There is no click-stop detent such as a ball bearing/spring" I meant in the sense of a wheel which can be turned without the need also to press a release button - but which "clicks" at each setting. Like the vast majority of shutter speed dials in fact.<br>

There is no ball & spring.<br>

The mechanism is as I described.<br>

Cheers,<br>

David.</p>

<p>OOOOPS!!<br>

I should have stripped it RIGHT down first time! Just went back for a deeper look.<br>

Apologies to both of you. There IS a click-stop even with the button pressed in, found the mechanism's 3 locking screws loose inside the camera where the last person to open it (not me!) left them taped to the side panel.<br>

These 3 screws are in the edge of the brass part which you can see after removing the wheel. They're 120 degrees apart and on yours may have just come loose - tightening them should re-engage the click-stops.<br>

All sorted now but I think I preferred it the way it was - without the click-stops.<br>

PM me if you would like pictures - I owe you that for misleading you.<br>

Sorry again for posting misinformation!<br>

Cheers,<br /> David.</p>