Between 40mm Rokkor CL, CLE and Summicron-C

<p>Will be acquiring a sample of one of these 40mm as my new main lenses in the upcoming month...</p>

<p>Have been researching for a few weeks, and from the comparison of some test shots on web, am founding myself to prefer the Summicron-C ... <em>(links for the test shots: </em> <a href="http://ferider.smugmug.com/gallery/2727734_MNe74#144981927_Y7jV9">40mm Tests</a><em>, and <a href="http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/discus_e/messages/2/117163.html">from leica forum</a>)</em><br /> But found out the filter problem of the cron, been researching to that too, although there is some solution to the nuisance, they all reduce the options for the filter use, which I need very much...</p>

<p>However the test shots are all of rokkor CLE and the cron, and it seems to be said that the result of the CL version comes out exactly the same as the cron... Could anyone verifies this to be true? It would be lovely if I could get the rokkor CL for the result of the Summicron-C, and with the much easier to find 40.5mm filter thread.</p>

<p>Please kindly let me know if there is any information on this, it will be much appreciated.<br /> Thank you so much...</p>

<p>P.S. If anyone have or can find more comparison shots between these lenses as well, it would be great to see them...</p>

<p>I remember reading on one of the Leica forums that the pitch of the thread on the 40mm & 90mm Summicron-C lens barrel is 39mm by .75. The Leitz 39mm filters have a 0.5 thread pitch. Thus, they do not screw on to the Summicron-C lenses for usually more than 1 & 1/2 turns. However, apparently, B&W brand 39mm filters have enough play in their supposedly 0.75 threads that they will screw all the way on, or almost all the way on a Summicron-C lens.</p>

<p>Can anyone verify this B&W 39mm filter fit on a Summicron-C lens?.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>A B+W UV filter will not screw on all the way with the 40mm Summicron-C; 1 to 1.5 like the others have stated. Performance close to 35 Summicron IV (used both); more like an in between for a version III and IV. The only thing that bothered me was flare with the 40mm Summicron-C, so use a hood if you can find one.</p>

<p>Okay, after more research, I have found an eBay seller, (heavystar), who sells a 39mm hood which holds a 52mm filter and comes with a lens cap. Purportedly, this combination will fit a Summicron-C lens thread rather well because of the sloppy machining of the hood's thread. I just ordered one to see if this is a legitimate adaptation. Search using the following, if you are curious:</p>

<p>"New Metal 39mm Screw-in Vented & Tilted Hood+ Front Cap"</p>

<p><br /> </p>

<h1 ></h1>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for all your response.... :)</p>

<p>Robert,<br /> Am aware of the 39mm filter solution with filed thread adapter or partly screwed filters, am willing to try those but it would be nice to know if I could get the Rokkor CL instead, as the adapter ring will not be always available and I would really want to keep as much options as possible for filters...<br /> Hope someone could have information on whether the Rokkor CL and Summicron-C is virtually the same lenses in performance... I know the CLE and the Cron is not the same, but have seen people saying that the CL version and the Cron is the same? It would be immensely helpful if anyone could verify on this...</p>

<p>Jeff,<br /> Your site just happened to be one of the one I listed! But still, thank you, for looking for me.<br /> Sadly the comparative shots are of Rokkor CLE vs Summicron-C, am preferring the tone of the Summicron-C, it would be great if there is comparison of the Rokkor CL version and the Cron...</p>

<p>FWIW, I have been using the Summicron quite a lot and really like it. Some Minolta CLE samples can be seen here: <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=813940">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=813940</a> - most of these were taken using the 40/2.0 Summicron.<br /><br />On the other hand, I think that it would be extremely hard to choose between two quite similar lenses from web samples - I would expect differences in post-processing to be more significant than the actual differnce between lenses.<br /><br />Soeren<br /><br /></p><div>00WAuV-234705684.jpg.23c937710eef4c0685fc63daa715acd9.jpg</div>

<p>I received the 39mm lens shade with front 52mm filters threads sold by the eBay seller Heavystar in my above post today. <strong>It does not fit properly</strong> on a Leica C lens, so don't waste your money. Actually, my Leitz 39mm filters fit much better than this 39mm lens shade on my C lenses. I could not even get one turn of the shade on the lens. Too, bad.</p>