Leica Super Angulon R 1:4 filter size?

<p>The 'official' answer would be a Series 8.5 via an adapter ring, or in conjunction with the dedicated rectangular hood. Standard 72mm screw-in filters do fit (some a little loosely). However, some makes of filter <em>may </em>leave no space between the filter glass and the lens front element, or even allow the filter to touch the lens (with undesirable consequences).</p>

<p>Series filters have a plain, unthreaded mount and are held in place by a screwed-in ring or the proper hood. The Series numbers bear little or no direct relation to size, and finding succinct information about Series filters ain't particularly easy - remembering it is even harder, but there are photo.net threads about this.</p>

<p>The dedicated hood has a thumb-operated device to rotate a Series 8.5 polarizer as well as holding 'normal' filters in place. Without the hood, an adapter ring will not readily allow a polarizer to be rotated, but will simply hold filters statically in place .However, the whole issue of filters and hood for the 21/4 becomes a little tricky. If using a 72mm screw-in filter, the addition of any circular hood seems to me to be futile - the dedicated rectangular hood just about works, a circular one looks great but may be ineffective or cause vignetting. Choices, choices . . .</p>

<p>Series filters are increasingly difficult to find and increasingly expensive (especially polarizers), especially outside the US.</p>

<p>The problem is, that even thought the 21mm f/4.0 Super-Angulon-R has a 72mm filter thread, the curvature of the front element is so great that if you try and screw on an E72 filter it will contact the front element!</p>

<p>I always put a piece of tissue on the front of a lens before trying it with a filter. If the tissue begins to turn as you screw the filter down - STOP!</p>

<p>I use a cheap 72-77mm step-up adapter and screw 77 mm filters onto this. I have a bunch of them from using an old Zeiss Jena 20mm f/4.0, and before that a Konica Hexanon 21mm f/4.0, both of which use 77mm filters.</p>

<p>I also have 62-77mm adapters and 67-77mm adapters for my Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 and Zeiss Jena MC 20mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>I have never had any problems with vignetting using 77mm filters in this way with any of my 20/21mm lenses. And of course it's much cheaper than finding the rare Series filters this lens takes in the awkward lens hood, plus I can use the same filter set on a few camera systems.</p>

<p>I haven't worked out a lens hood solution as of yet, but I find the Super-Angulon-R 21/4 quite flare resistant.</p>