Hiring a 2nd shooter in Studio

<p>I am looking for some advice on hiring a 2nd shooter in a Studio that I own. I want to allow another photographer to schedule and shoot clients in my studio. My solution - basically I wouldn't ever pay her and she wouldn't pay me, I would only take a small percentage of her profit. Does this make sense? Should I charge a fee to him/her for use of studio? Has anyone ran into this ever ? If so, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciative. Thank You! </p>

<p> No, it does not make sense. This is normally done on a per hour (and/or 1/2 day, full day) basis. A small percentage of profits is complicated and charitable, not profitable. If it's a friend who is in dire straits, either let them use your studio briefly when you're not until they get their head above water, or let them work off the fee (there's always things that need doing around a studio).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes it does make sense.<br>

I belong to a studio which is a group of photographers who all have their own businesses. Each photographer has their own business insurance, their own equipment and so on. The studio it self is separate business which was started by the first photographer and that business that pays the building rent, trash removal, heating bills and so on. The expenses of the of that business are split up by the photographers plus a little bit extra so the studio can buy new paint for the walls once in a while or get a new back drop that everyone can use or what ever.</p>

<p>We all get together once in a while (usually at "pay the rent" time) and decide if everything is going OK or do we need to rethink anything. The studio time is scheduled so everyone knows when it will be in use and when it is open for use. There are a couple of the photographers that spend 8am to 5pm time there to catch the "walk-in" customers. Everyone else has their own editing computers at their own office (home usually). Everyone has their own phone number and their own customers.</p>

<p>The first photographer, which would be you, has the final say if there are conflicts but we usually work it out. We all compete with each other and try to help each get better. Some like weddings photos, some like photographing kids, some like doing the high schools portraits and so on.</p>

<p>With a little politeness and a team work attitude, it can be done and everyone's expenses can be reduced.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Here is the way I look at. It is one thing to share work space and a studio. It is another thing to share clients. I just see a major red flag on this one. I would say hire second shooter be it part time or as independent contractor. You want the best service for your clients that means you need to be incharge and oversee the second shooter.</p>

<p>I would also check with the labour board because what you are describing is someone who would be viewed as an employee, not as independent contractor. So you really need to check the laws of your state on this one.</p>

<p>Ray, do the photographers pay by the percentage of their profit and whatever it turns out to be goes to the studio? If so, why would they "split up" studio expenses? Expenses would be the studio's problem. Sorting out everyone's net profit each rental period and how it relates to expenses would seem to be a nightmare. I'm not sure if you are actually addressing the question that was asked which is if renting to a LONE photographer based on a percentage of profit (if they even make any) is sensible.</p>

<p>John, (and Guy), If 1.) you own a studio and 2.) an other photographer is NOT going to give up and go out of business just because your photos are so amazing that they can't even conceive of competing with you, then...<br>

Yes, you can split the expenses.</p>

<p>Let's say you pay rent $500/month, pay electricity $500/month, pay plumbing $500, pay trash removal $500. That's $2000 every month that is an expense to you that you pay whether or not you are making any sales or even opening the door. You can split in half. $1000 for you, $1000 for her. Nothing related to how good you are doing or if she is reporting all of her sales so you can verify your getting paid your percentage. Just $1000 you $1000 her. Does she want to do it or not. </p>

<p>If not, your expenses don't change, your competition doesn't change... Her expenses increase because now she has to rent a building and pay all the bills too.</p>

<p>If she says yes, win/win. If she says no, loose/loose. If either of you are greedy, it will be a loose/loose.</p>

<p>I am also a cosmetologist and this is actually the similar to the way most salons work. The owner just pays the stylist a percentage of the sales (commission). As another person mentioned, I'm quite sure this would be considered an employee not a contracted out person. If you want to consider naming it that, I would suggest you charge them a monthly "rent" of your studio and then they could be considered contracted out easier. (I would still check with your state's laws.) You could decide whether they will use your equipment or bring in their own each time.</p>

<p>From a US tax stand point, you would be better off billing the photographer at a normal day rate and then writing off the loss as good will or advertising. I believe that would also help with any liability/insurance issues but Im not 100% there. <br>

The tax man is going to be all over you for FICA, Medicare, workman's comp and unemployment. At best you will get hit with whatever you should have paid a minimum wage employee. At worst they can assess you taxes based on the "prevailing wage." And if they get really mean, they can hit you with a tax evasion charge.<br>

I agree with Ralph - they are not your clients if she schedules, shoots and collects. You are also setting up a nightmare scenario that many small business encounter - an employee becomes such a valuable asset that they are no longer working for you, you are working for them. Everything is great until that person decides to walk and take a huge chunk of business with them. </p>