Best way to get paid in NYC by Canadian Buyer?

<p>What's the best way(s) to get paid if you are in NYC and someone in Canada wants to buy a lens from you?<br>

I hear and read about bad check and money orders all the time. <br>

So, I was wondering what is the best way(s) to get paid by a buyer from a foreign (Canada) country? <br>

Canadian Postal Money Order in US Dollars? <br>

Check drawn on a Canadian bank that does business in the US like Toronto Dominion Bank? <br>

Check drawn on a American bank that does business in Canada like Chase? <br>

Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.<br>

����</p>

<p>Despite all the negative publicity and some of the bad experiences - the best way I've found to get paid from a situation like that is via PayPal.</p>

<p>Don't send the lens and get a check or money order - if it is a scam they will stop pay on the check or send a bad money order.</p>

<p>The other way to get paid is via credit card - assuming of course that you have a business and are equipped to accept CC's. If not - then go with the first option.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Canadian Post Office money orders have a 1-800 number on them you just phone and they can tell you if the dollar amount matches the serial number. They also have a maximum dollar limit per money order as well.</p>

<p> Most Canadians wouldn't have an account with a US based bank doing business in Canada. All the major Canadian banks have US dollar accounts available to their customers, and those would have cheques marked as US dollars and would be drawn on a branch with a US address, probably in NYC.</p>

<p>There is always Paypal, or cash sent by registered mail.</p>

<p>What I've done: Paypal or money order.</p>

<p>I made it a condition of the sale that I cashed a money order <em>before </em>I sent the merchandise.</p>

<p>Paypal had to clear to my bank account (not just showing in Paypal) <em>before I</em> sent the merchandise. I kept a small checking account at a different bank than my main accounts for this purpose. Once the funds cleared the first bank account, I transferred the funds to my regular bank account. When that deposit cleared, I sent the merchandise.</p>

<p>That was back when I did more transactions on *-bay. I communicated with buyers each step of the way, and never had a problem. YMMV.</p>

<p>I always buy things with paypal but as a seller I could see the hesitation because it's too easy to get reverse scammed where the buyer simply complains that they didn't recieve the item and charges the money back.<br>

D.B.'s method sounds good too.<br>

Within Canada anyways you can pretty easily setup an electronic transfer linking your email address to your bank account number and email money around. I'm assuming this can probably be done across the border?<br>

I figure you atleast have the security then of the money being in your bank account. And if the buyer(scammer) were to try and get it back they'd have to go through your real life bank, as opposed to some magical internet place called "Paypal"</p>

<p>Canada Post money orders are guaranteed and useful up to US $ equivalent of $1000 CAN (about equal these days). You can cash it before sending the item, but there may be a time hold on the payment caused by your bank. <br /> Best way to ship to Canada is via insured USPS air parcel post as there is no excess costs to your client like customs brokerage with the courrier services (often substantial).<br /> Best though is PayPal, whichever direction, USA to Canada or Canada to USA that you go. I believe that certified PayPal users get insurance against loss of $1200</p>