What basic accessories do I need?

<p>I have owned the Canon Rebel Xti for around 2 years, now, and have been using a 50 mm lens. I am about to purchase the Sigma 10-50 mm f/2.8-4.5 zoom, and wondered if there is anything else I need to buy to go with it. Do I need a pouch? Do I need some kind of lens cover (is this called a filter?) Sorry - I'm definitely a beginner! Any other basic accessories I should order at the same time? Thanks for your feedback.</p>

<p>Need? Probably not. Some people like to keep a clear UV filter on as a protective measure, but it's not required, and in some cases it may degrade image quality. I am guessing that this lens (probably <em><strong>18</strong></em>-50) comes with a bayonet-mounted petal lens hood. Not only can this hood reduce flare and improve contrast, it also serves a protective purpose as well (making that protective filter somewhat less important). Note that you would probably want to remove that hood when shooting with the Rebel's built-in flash.</p>

<p>Pouch is also completely optional, really depends on how you're storing & transporting the lens when not in use.</p>

<p>I would make sure that you have some way to carry your stuff around so that if it gets dropped or knocks into something, it'll probably be unharmed. Make sure whatever bag or pouch you're keeping your camera and extra lens in has a little place to put your keys and you're all set for that "oooh - I've gotta pull the car over - I see something" moment.</p>

<p>I like using a good quality UV filter as described above. The lens hood is good, and a polarizer would be a nice-to-have. You might or might not want to get an extra camera battery. But really, just shoot for a while and see what you think you need as you go. Work with what you have until something doesn't quite work for you. </p>

<p>Generally for just one lens purchase you don't need any accessories. However that said I do put on a UV filter for protection, but it is not required. Jennifer's and Mark's suggestions are good although they are not essential. Another non essential item might want to consider would be a polarizing filter. These can help reduce reflections in the iimage and can help darken the sky sometimes.</p>

<p>IMHO, any lens that is moving around in my camera bag should have more than a snap-on lens cap attached to the outside. A cylindrical lens case that's slightly longer than the lens may work okay without a filter.</p>

<p>Think of it this way, you may benefit from the added protection of a filter on the lens-when the camera is in the bag, or not intended for immediate use (in a car, on an escalator, or crossing a busy street).</p>

<p>You should have a camera bag to put the camera and lens in. Some people use a UV or a Skylight filter to protect the lens. A Lenspen and a microfiber lens cloth are good for cleaning the lens. Only use a cloth meant for photo lenses, not for eyeglasses.</p>

<p>I always recommend that newbies get a good basic photography book. I like any of several by John Hedgecoe or the new Guide by Bryan Peterson, but there are other good ones.</p>

<p>Enjoy your new lens. BTW there is no Sigma 10-50 lens.</p>