Purchasing 2nd Lens?

reyna_moreno

<p>Hi All, and thanks in advance for taking a look since I am in desperate need of help! :)<br>

I am a beginner..I have the Canon Rebel XS and I will be purchasing my 2nd lens after already owning the 18-55 kit lens and buying a 50mm 1.4. I am getting great shots with the 50mm and am hardly using my kit lens..Im mostly focusing on families but am noticing with my 50mm that sometimes those that are further back to those who are closer to the camera are out of focus so my first thought was that 50mm is better for individuals and I need a second lens for whole family shots..because those that I am taking and are in good shape (Everyone is sharp enough) have to be very tight in space (lil or no background) and Im not so fond of that. Im looking into a little wider lens that can still be sharp and doesnt break my budget. I have been researching but have gotten no where. Is the 35mm f/2 a good choice? I still want a good quality photo..and I like things to be sharp..please help!</p>

<p>Thanks for your time!<br>

Reyna:)</p>

<p>That depends a little bit on your price range. Also, when using the 50 are you increasing your aperture to say f8 or f11 or even higher sometimes? You'll need a higher aperture to get all the people in focus unless they are all standing at the same distance. Make sure you experiment with this, as you state you are a beginner, i'm assuming you may not have and i apologize if i am incorrect ;). As far as other lens choices, i'd first try your 18-55 at a higher aperture and see what happens for your group shots. If those aren't cutting it by your standards then you are looking at probably another fixed lens like maybe a 28mm f/1.8 or a 35mm f/2. But if this lens is ultimately going to be used for groups or landscapes you might look into the 17-40mm f/4L lens. Its one of the cheapest L lenses and is quite sharp. However, this lens isn't as capable in low lighting situations so again, depends on your needs. But make sure you increase your aperture on the lenses you've got when you are shooting a group as you will typically have to do this with most groups on any lens to maintain good focus for all the individuals.</p>

<p>Reyna, since your emphasis is on portrature, you have one of the best lenses already in that 50mm f/1.4 (35mm equivalent = 80mm on your camera which has a 1.6X factor), which is a great lens length for portraits, even on groups. As Chris mentioned, when taking group shots you need to stop down to f/8 or f/11 to gain enough depth of field to keep everybody sharp in more than one row...experiment a little to see what f/stop combined with what focus point (like the sholder of the central subject in the front row, etc.) will keep the people sharp but let the background go soft. Once you determine this f/stop, you won't have that problem so often. Get a longer zoom to mess around with, but that 50mm is still going to end up as your workhorse lens for portraits, single or multiple subject. Also, your 50mm should have a depth of field scale on it to show, for example, if you are focused at 8', everything from about 6.5' to 10' (at f/8) is in acceptable focus.</p>

<p>the lens doesn't determine how much is in focus ( well it does to an extent, but not for what your problem is) The f-stop determines what is or isn't in focus. Use AV and increase the f-stop. The higher the f number, the more of your photo will be in focus. I suggest going to the library and getting a basic photography book and learning the relationship between shutter speed and aperture and how they affect a photo. Learn this and you will understand how to manipulate the camera to get the photo the way you want it to look.</p>

<p>The complaint does seem to be two-fold. To get larger groups entirely in focus, indeed stopping down is the answer. But it will not solve your need for a wider lens.<br>

To me, a 30 or 35mm lens would be the logical answer, but I'm not you. However, you can make it easier for yourself to figure out what you're looking for. Get your kitlens, and check using that one which length you need. It covers the wider end below 50mm, so it should be able to tell you which length you are looking for.<br>

By the way, at f/8 or f/11, the kitlens will also be plenty sharp, so maybe you already own the answer.</p>

<p>I'm with Wouter. There's nothing wrong with a 35mm lens but it still isn't all that wide on a APS-C D-SLR like the Rebel XS. I would experiment with the kit lens to find the right focal length and see if it produces the results you want. You might decide you'd rather have a 28mm or even wider lens (and note there's an inexpensive 28/2.8 that costs half what the 28/1.8 does).</p>

<p>You might check into something like the Tamron AF 17-50mm 1:2.8 (IF) (Aspherical LD XR DiII SP) or the Canon 17-40 f/4.0 "L".<br>

I bought the Tamron used because I could'nt afford the Canon "L" at the time, and the f/2.8 better suited my needs/desires. I do have two Canon "L's" in my arsenal along with the 50mm 1.4, but I think this Tamron is just as sharp for a lot less money.<br>

When I shoot film (equal to a full frame digital without the 1.6 Crop Factor) a 24 or 28mm would probably give you the results you are looking for. But with the 1.6 Crop Factor you need to get down to the 17-20mm range, and a wider aperture is always a plus.<br>

The 17-50mm is also my "carry-around" lens. "A zoom is always nice to have!"<br>

Good luck,<br>

Jim J.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you SOO much EVERYONE! So kind of all of you to stop by and contribute a response! I am going to "play" around with the lens I have now and see where I can get with the information I have been given! I always thought my kit lens was just not "sharp" enough for my liking but never thought about the aperature! Like I mentioned I am literally a beginner! NO experience what-so-ever..so I am very thankful for your information..I will pick up a book and start reading into it more! I really would like a wider lens so I will also research which would be more suitible for my needs..Thanks again:)</p>

<p>I will second some of the others here saying that your kit lens can do very well, IF, you use it at a higher aperture. I would recommend going outside with it and setting your camera on Av (aperture priority). Take some test shots and see how it goes!</p>

<p>Biggest thing, get out and shoot! Have fun, and you'll get some great photos.</p>

<p>The only thing I suggest buying now is a good basic photography book. I like any of several by John Hedgecoe or the new Guide by Bryan Peterson. I suggest buying rather than getting it from the library so you can keep it as a reference. Do some reading and a lot of shooting and when you have questions ask us. In time you'll learn what other gear you need.</p>