Fuji Pro 400H & Kodak Portra 400NC

<p>I will be going to Philadelphia next week for a day trip. I plan on shooting several rolls covering both outdoor scenes and some indoor ones, particularly in 30th Street Station. I was planning to use Fuji Pro 400H. I was advised to shoot it at 320, rather than 400. I also have rolls of Kodak Portra 400NC in my freezer. It is my understanding that the fourth-layer colour chemistry of the Fuji Pro 400H would be better inside, e.g. places like the Reading Terminal market, 30th Street Station, the Art Museum, Independence Hall, the Franklin Institute, etc. Should I go with the Fuji Pro 400H or would the Kodak Portra 400NC be better? Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Compared to a lot of places, there's a pretty reasonable amount of natural light at 30th Street Station. (A worthy photo subject.) But, the artificial light is there, and thus 400H might work better. It's a very warm colored place, so even if the 400H is a bit on the cool side, that won't be a biggie.<br>

Outdoors, I really like 400NC. So natural. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was advised to shoot it at 320, rather than 400.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A 1/3 stop difference is so slight that it's essentially equivalent. Both of these films can stand massive amounts of exposure but not underexposure. So if you err on the metering, err on the side of giving the films more light.</p>

<p>I prefer the Kodak color palette; it tends to be warmer. For me, all this means is that scans of Kodak film requires less color balance tweaking. It's just not a big deal these days.</p>

<p>You might carry a light tripod. The indoor places probably won't have enough light to shoot handheld at 400ISO, and again, underexposing either of these films will give disappointing images.</p>

<p>I would prefer the Fuji 400H, I'd rate it at 400. I think it performs better indoors. Although I have shot mostly Tri-X since my days in Vietnam, after retirement I went heavily into color negative films for all the family snaps, weddings, christenings, engagements, birthdays, and the like. I particularly like the 4th-layer feature of the Fuji films, especially in mixed lighting situations. I know 30th Street Station in Philly well and -- depending on the time of day -- you will have a great deal of mixed lighting, i.e., daylight through the windows, light from the lighting fixtures, backlit illuminated signs and advertising displays and so forth. The Fuji will do you better. If you're there on a dark day, consider shooting 800Z in the waiting area, the extra stop may help. Good luck and post some of the finished product here.</p>