Camera Life & Repair question

cl_wood

<p>How long is a Nikon camera intended to last? And is that answer very different from other manufactuers?<br />I realize that the answers differs depending on usage but I term myself an amateur without a lot of free time - meaning that I may take 300-500 photos in on a good day/weekend, then go 3 weeks without touching my camera if work is busy. I pose the question because my D70s, that I purchased new in 2006, began having issues with the CF cards (CHA & FOR errors) in January 2009. I was able to 'work around' these errors by reseating my cards & being dilligent about reformatting. However, this weekend I took 300 photos of which only 90 were able to be imported to my computer. So I'm sending it in for repairs. My (refurbished) N80 film camera was used for about 5yrs before I went digital and even then I didn't trade up because because the camera stopped working. But for what I paid for the D70s, I expected it to last at least 5yrs before equipment failure. Was this unreasonable?<br>

<br />How often do most of you send in your equipment for repairs? What about sending it in for general servicing/cleaning? I live in the sticks so mailing it in is really the only good option. And I will admit I've never sent my camera in. I keep it as clean as possible but don't go near the sensor.<br>

<br />I'm considering the D300s (the D700 is just too far out of my range). How long would be a good guesstimate for its camera life?</p>

<p>My cameras go in for cleaning/tuneup about every 15 years...but I keep them generally well cleaned and exercised in between camera doctor visits. I've only had my DSLR in once for service, shortly after I got it (about 10 years go) when several pixels went dead and I created a stink. My film SLRs seem to hold up much better, although a couple of them haven't had service in almost 20 years. A Leica tech once told me...instead of sitting around home munching popcorn while watching TV, take your film cameras and run up and down the shutter speeds a couple of times each month...it keeps the lubricants spread on the surfaces. It has worked pretty well for me.</p>

<p>DSLRs are a lot more complex than film cameras, so a lot more things can go wrong with them. It is also a fair assumption that they are used more (in the last four years I took more than 150K images with my DSLRs, a number I would never have gotten close to with film), so wear is higher as well.<br>

The oldest camera I still own, a Nikon F3 purchased in 1982, is still working fine and has never been in for service. A few weeks ago, one of my D200 cameras that I purchased in late 2006 had a short (caused by the flash failing) and since then has a few ailments (no meter, no continuous shooting). Due to it having more than 95K clicks and the fact that technology has progressed, to me it isn't economical to have the camera fixed.<br>

Despite this, I don't think that a DLSR is of lower quality than a film camera and I expect them to last as long - though due to the likely heavier use, the time scale is somewhat accelerated. In fact, I think the build quality of the D200 is as good as the one of the F3.<br>

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that is actually rated is the shutter - depending on model they are supposed to last between 100K and 250K actuations.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I may take 300-500 photos in on a good day/weekend, then go 3 weeks without touching my camera if work is busy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wonder whether you used to shoot that much with film. 360 images means 10 rolls of film, which means film + processing + printing would be something like $100 to $150 or so.</p>

<p>Since 2002, I have bought 5 Nikon DSLRs so far. None of them has ever failed. The main reason I upgraded each time is that technology has improved enough that a new camera can give me better results. It has reached a point that I am no longer buying any D3 cameras because I cannot justify the cost for a 2, 3 or even 4 years of usage. For the same reason, other than the single-digit D2, D3, and future D4 series that are supposed to take a lot of professional abuse, there is no point to make DSLRs that last that long. Most people would upgrade after 2 to 4 years anyway. A lot of us are better off with less-reliable cameras as long as that means some savings for us consumers.</p>

<p>I have 5 DSLR 4 Nikon and 1 Fuji. All of them have been back to Nikon (or Fuji) for service.Some of them more then once (D100 twice and D2h twice) But I shoot a lot. 7000 images just last weekend. I also send my cameras in to Nikon to have a CLA done annually. I started doing this when I shot film. I still have and use (not a lot) a 1968 vintage Nikon F. If you take care of them they will take care of you.<br>

If you buy a D300s and only shoot it occasionally it should last you at least 5 years</p>

<p>Was watching a program on National Geographic, about the photographers and the story of the ten most famous photos published by National geographic magazine. One of them was explaining how for one feature, somewhere in some remote Amazon region or such, how he took 30,000 exposures , only for 18 to to used in the specific feature. I couldn't help thinking, Wow, if he used a D700, then after only five assignments like that he'd need a new shutter, of if a D3 a new shutter after every ten assignments like that !!!<br>

Micheal, shooting a D300s occasionally and lasting only 5 year is ridiculous. I don't think anyone would waste their money if the cameras were to last only five years. And besides, what do you think happens to them after five years ? Programmed to fall apart ?</p>

<p>Andrew<br>

I said at least 5 years. And no I do not expect it to fall apart. I still haze and use a 10 year old DSLR. It works just fine. But it is only a 3 mp camera. The color is so so and anything above 400 ISO is bad.<br>

There comes a time in any machines life span when it is more expensive to keep having it fixed then it is to buy a new one.<br>

With the low frame rate that the OP is shooting at it should be much longer then 5 years. At the rate I shoot 5 years could be the high side of the replacement curve</p>

<p><REPAIRMAN'S RANT ON><br /> In camera repairs many items really do not "die" due to too many shots; ie due to fatigue failure.<br /> A radically more common "failure mode" is the item just is dropped; bumped; got wet and gets totalled out since it is not worth repairing.</p>

<p>Common P&S cameras and lower end dlsrs are like this; folks get a zoom lens jack in the box all goofed up on a 80 to 250 buck P&S digital and "discover" no repair place will touch it for under 80 to 130 bucks. With a 2 year old camera it is cheaper to buy the SAME exact model on Ebay as new old stock; or a used one; then do ANY repair attempt.</p>

<p>If it is water damage; a repair often will not last; one has corrosion that shorts out tiny traces carrying logic level voltages with zitch current; a tiny amount of "tracking" across 2 pins on a IC will screw up the cameras menu months down the road. The lay public doesnt understand any of this; they want something for nothing. A hard bump can crack a trace or circuit board and one has wonky</p>

<p>results. With an older customer who wants the "same camera"; I just often buy another on ebay for them; since a repair is impossible.</p>

<p>Folks who dwell on the number of shots being the main issue are like lay folks who dwell on car mileage and ignore if the car was a taxi; rental; or driven by a salesman as mostly highway miles. In their narrow simpleton world; it is all about the number of clicks; and BUMPS; ABUSE, WATER, DROPS do not matter. Clicks are a weak function of how long a camera will last at best; like miles drive; the nut doing the driving/shooting matters more!</p>

<p>One can take a brand new dslr or brand new car and hit/crash it so hard it gets totalled; even if the camera/car is only 1 day old.</p>

<p>One can also totally wear out a camera or car in 5 years too; a heavy used press camera or taxi may or may not be a good repair for adding a new shutter or engine-transmission; it might be better to just get a another one.</p>

<p>Most all cameras and cars are bought are by amateurs; life is often dictated by bumps/crashes/abuse rather than the simplistic miles/clicks "model" . I know folks who are so clumsy that a dumb P&S lasts about a year; it gets dropped; abused; then chucked/replaced another another is bought.</p>

<p>An exgirlfriend decades ago that was left handed had teh knack of destroying ANYTHING; any object if stuck was forced. A simple tea kettle that would last be say; 1/2 century would be ruined/broken in a few weeks. Ok on to "lefties" ALOT of stuff is for us righthanded folks; and not as easy for sothpaws; alot of consumer items get broken more by lefthanded folks; better items are not.</p>

<p>In film cameras many old stuff is just in folks sock drawers; or used very little; they die or need repairs/CLA mainly due to LACK OF USE; ie the lower the number of clicks per year; the LOWER the lifetime. MANY consumer items are like this. An electronic item with electrolytic caps when not used has its caps get leaky; thus an Instamatic X30 with auto exposure will have issues; since its meter charges up a cap for the auto exposure. Xenon strobe units and ones in cameras are like this; if not used much the caps get leaky. One has greases that get caked up; and after a few firings or regular useage often all is well.</p>

<p>One has the goofy issue that folks forget how their camera works; then pull ou the old Retina; it doesnt work; thus they sell it on ebay as parts as is. The "fix" is one has to have film in the camera to make the shutter work!<br /> My used Nikon F I got in 1962 has never had a CLA yet; I got some spares in the 1970's for 65 bucks each. My early Nikon F has NO FOAM; it has a silk damper cushion. Repair chaps who are newer are hell bent on adding foam; to a working body that NEVER had any foam. This happens in repairs; the "body of knowledge" drops and folks want to ruin working items with jackleg repairs that are not needed.</p>

<p>In contactor tools like Levels and Transits; one person might buy one and only he uses it and it might last 10 to 30 +years. The same person who "lends" it to another typically has it dropped; abused; ruined. It is not their tool soso it gets ruined.</p>

<p>Thus a GOOD model is the life drops of a tool as the number of users rises; if it is not your item; folks "tear it up".<br /> Life of tools also drops as the number of repairs goes up; ie too many jackleg/bad/iffy repairs.<br /> <REPAIRMAN'S RANT OFF/></p>

<p>I realize that damaging a camera affects its life; and that repairmen hear a lot of stupid stories and flat out lies. I've never had any bad falls or drops with my D70s. I fell on a mountain-side with my N80 & 70-300 zoom lens - the film camera still works fine but the lens had to be repaired as I'd damaged something internally. I have bumped the D70s - for instance when wearing the camera I've misjudged how long the strap was and bumped it on a chair. So this may be a factor but I think I bump the lenses more than I do the camera. I didn't mention it because I'm confident that this camera has not had anything outside normal wear & tear, and that I actually err on the cautious side with my cameras, because they are such a major investment for me. The other reason for my concern was that the problems I'm having seemed to be a recurring theme with the D70 models and I've heard similar issues with the D90; to the extent that it seems more like a design or manufacturing issue rather than a level of care issue.</p>

<p>Just an update - Nikon received the camera Wednesday morning, 9:32am; got an email with an estimate Friday (today) at 11:15am for $244. I approved the estimate & entered my payment info by 11:30am (yes, I have been obsessively checking my email for the estimate). :) <br>

Just logged on to Nikon @ 2:15pm - status is still on estimate. I'm guessing it probably won't go into "Shop" status until Monday. Will update later with info on Nikon's service. I don't know if this estimate was on the high side or average for this type of repair. From the brief "Reason for Service" description, it looks more like how I described the problem on my service form.<br>

Has anyone sent in something to the California location recently or for this type of problem? Just wondering what to expect for turnaround. Thanks!</p>

<p>Quick update - I accepted the estimate midday Friday. Sunday night their website updated to show that the estimate was accepted. Since it's now Monday afternoon & the camera's status hasn't moved to "Shop" to indicate that it's being serviced, I'm currently on hold with Nikon's service dept. Since they only have 2 US service facilities (east & west coast), I wish they had a phone number for each location.<br /><br />ETA - the phone rep said it is in the "shop" status but the website takes a little to update. He also told me that it should take 7-10 business days to repair. When I asked about paying extra for overnight shipping, he recommended that I call back next Monday to see how far along it was so I could possibly save that $50. So fingers crossed that I get it back by the end of the month!</p>