I have the D50, but is the D90 a real upgrade?

Ian Rance

<p>Personally I owed a D40 and a D50 and also a D300. The first two were stolen and I now have only the D300. I think constantly about selling the D300 to get one of my old cameras back. They have a very good flash sync speed, and for me this is a very big advantage. You might not care.</p>

<p>I don't see much difference in image quality. IMO you get 12MP but ISO is the same. Larger screens are definitely nice, and also the newer cameras are much faster to navigate and zoom, which is also nice. </p>

<p>oh yes, live view that most people look as a degrading factor in being a pro (when it first came out, but still some do today). i use live view for overhead shots on weddings --- both for the main ceremony and receptions. yes, i use two of them where i get paid. and yes again, live view is a nice feature for for macro.</p>

<p>Short version -- Had a D50 for years -- loved it, took a lot of wonderful pix with it. Upgraded last year to a D90 and have absolutely no regrets -- after the D50, the big LCD and the second control dial were worth it. Live view, video, wireless flash control, hi-ISO, etc. all just seal the deal. Kept the D50, and my 12 year old son is making good use of it. Good luck!</p>

<p>Mmmhhh...<br>

Do not get the D200. Sorry, as beautiful as that machine is, image quality is subpar. You will get amazing shots out of it, but it'll take a lot more effort than with other cameras. D200 and D80 have a similar sensor, and I never liked them at all. I sold the D80 very quickly and kept the D70, as its IQ was not to my tastes. Used a D200 too, and while it was fast (now not so much anymore), above iso400 you started to be in trouble; you wouldn't want to reach iso1600, and anything over that was even worse. D70 produce a very crisp image up to iso400, slight noise, but grainy at 800, and lots of grain, but still, a "nice" one, at 1600. D50 should be a little bit better.<br>

But again: once you use a better camera, no matter size or "love", the old one will stay home.<br>

I <strong>loved</strong> my Fuji in a crazy way; its huge DR, subtle tonalities, incredibly pastel like rendition, and a semipro body (D200); even though in pure DR and tonalities the D700 <strong>is worse</strong>, I haven't used the Fuji in 1 month. Exactly the time I bought the D700. So nice to have a "better" overall camera is.<br>

Keep the D50 as backup (you really never know! and it'd be a pity to sell it for peanuts), buy the D90, and be happy :-)</p>

<p>Lory</p>

<p>p.s.<br>

yes, live view is invaluable when you want to make landscapes or macro...</p>

<p>Thank you all again - your input is invaluable as usual.</p>

<p>I will speak to him (the seller) over Easter and chat about it. I think the D90 will be fun and with luck we can reach a price we are both happy with.</p>