Nikon lens

sara_adler1

<p>I am purchasing a used D90 and was wondering if anyone had a lens recommendation? I am looking for an all around "starter" lens as I dont want to purchase multiples at this point. Can anyone recommend a Nikon lens for a beginner?</p>

<p>thanks, <br>

Sara</p>

<p>To get better responses, we really need to know what your budget is, and if the camera you're buying has a lens already.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532521-GREY/Nikon_2176_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6G_VR_AF_S.html">THIS lens</a> usually comes with the camera when you buy it as a kit. It's a decent starter lens. The VR (vibration reduction) feature is really helpful. For inside shots you may still have to resort to using flash. There are much nicer lenses out there, but they have higher price tags.</p>

<p>Cory's suggestion is the obvious one for a stabilized (VR, in Nikon-speak) zoom lens, covering wide angle to short telephoto. An alternative is the <a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/422-nikkor_35_18g">Nikkor AF-S 35/1.8 G</a>, a fast (takes in more light, good for low light), compact, light, single 'normal' (in-between) focal length. Goes for about $200. This lens serves a similar purpose to the 50mm lenses that used to be bundled with film SLR's back in the day. If you end up going with Cory's suggestion, this might make a good 'second' lens.</p>

<p>A common misconception is that a beginner can "get by" with a less than excellent lens.</p>

<p>While that might be true, a "less than excellent lens" is the source of most beginners complaints concerning image quality. If anyone can use a inferior lens to it's maximum potential, it would be the experienced shooter; not the beginner.</p>

<p>The quality zooms are rather expensive. What's your budget?</p>

<p>If you can not afford the higher quality zooms; may I suggest a good solid prime lens?<br>

Nikon's 50mm 1.8 is not expensive and is amazing in it's image quality for the price.<br>

At $100-$150, you can still buy many of the entry level zooms; you will be amazed when you compare the 50mm to nearly any zoom at that focal length.</p>

<p>What is your budget? $100, $200, $300, $500 and etc. It make a big different. For $100, the 18-55 is a good starter. <$200 and used 18-70 AFS Nikkor is a good deal. If you have to cover an outdoor sport event, the 55-200 Nikkor is a good deal. If you want to spend $500 or more, the candy shops are open for you :-) </p>

<p>Sara,</p>

<p>I have replied to your post regarding which camera to purchase and I applaud your choice of the D90. It's a great camera and is very capable with the 18-105mm that comes in the kit if you choose to go that route. The only downfall of the kit lens is its low light capability.</p>

<p>For $199, I much prefer the 35mm f/1.8DX over the kit lens. It's great due to its light weight, large maximum aperture, and "normal" perspective. (Basically the perspective you see with your eyes is what you will get in the shot). If $199 is a bit too much, then you should look into the 50mm f/1.8. It can be purchased for around $125 and nearly EVERY camera store carries it. It's Nikon's least expensive lens, has great IQ and works perfect for portraiture due to the D90's 1.5x crop factor (Basically 75mm equivalent on 35mm film or Nikon full frame cameras).</p>

<p>I never recommend a Zoom lens for one's first lens. There's a different style to shooting with primes, but when you learn to shoot with prime lenses you will hopefully be a much better technical shooter. You can also buy a "professional" prime lens for much much less than the cost of a "professional" zoom.<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

RS</p>

<p>Sara,</p>

<p>I again looked at your last post about which camera to choose and realized you would like to spend around $950.</p>

<p>Nikon D90 with 18-105mm Kit = $1029 at full NYC discount...$1199 for normal shops<br>

Nikon D90 Body Only NEW = $799 at full NYC discount...$859 for normal shops<br>

Nikon 35mm f/1.8DX = 199.95<br>

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 = $125</p>

<p>You can also find a refurbished D90 at Adorama for $689... I'd trust a refurb. over a used camera any day.</p>

<p>Based on these figures, I'd say the refurbished D90 with a 35mm f/1.8DX will keep you under your target of $950</p>

<p>Now go get your camera and start taking photos! It's not doing you, (or the shop), any good sitting on a shelf!<br>

RS</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>The 35mm f/1.8 is a great lens, and really a pleasure to shoot with. It's one of my favorites.</p>

<p>That said, I have a feeling you will be shopping for other lenses shortly. Although a lot of people panned the kit lens here, I actually think it's quite decent. It's useful, light, and good for many situations (e.g. it does ok with macro, whereas the 35mm does not). It's not a big investment either (like... $120?), but gives you more flexibility. Even though it won't stun you like the 35mm can, it's a good tool to have in your bag. I'm going to keep my kit lens even if I ever get around to get a standard zoom with f/2.8... it's just lighter, easier to carry around, and not much of an investment.</p>

<p>But also, that said, the kit lens is one of the first lenses I'd toss out of my bag to shed weight... the 35mm is one of the last!</p>