What is the problem in this photo

sharad_bhatt1

<p>Hi,<br>

I am new to photography with SLRs.<br>

I took this photo recently, with a Nikon D3000 and 18-55mm Kit lens.<br>

The time is around 6 in the evening, and it was starting to get dark.<br>

The problem is,<br>

There is the suns reflection in the photo. I could see it through the viewfinder too.<br>

Is this some lens problem? or is a problem with my technique? How do I take such photos?<br>

Thanks</p>

<div>00W7Q6-233039584.jpg.ff9c6229e606691aadd828646a2ac96a.jpg</div>

<p>That's a classic case of lens flare, specifically ghosting flare - a "ghost" of the bright light sources in the frame appear elsewhere in the frame.</p>

<p>If you're using a protective, polarizer or other filter, try removing it when shooting into the sun or other bright light source. But this will not guarantee you won't see ghosting flare. Shooting directly into the light is a challenge even to the best of lenses.</p>

<p>In some cases, you can see the ghost in the viewfinder. You may need to look very carefully - the viewfinders themselves have coatings that help minimize glare and flare. When you see ghosting in the viewfinder, try tipping/tilting the camera very slightly. In some cases merely tipping the camera slightly downward or upward will eliminate the ghost. It doesn't actually magically remove the ghost - it simply moves it out of frame.</p>

<p>You can experiment easily at home. In a somwhat darkened room (doesn't need to be completely dark), aim a flashlight directly at the camera lens. Compose a photo with the flashlight beam centered in the frame. Then take several photos with the camera tilted or tipped slightly to the sides and up and down. Take photos each time you move the camera. Try it with and without filters (if you use protective or other filters). This test will quickly reveal where the ghosts are occurring, so you can make adjustments next time you photograph a sunrise or sunset.</p>

<p>As Lex says it is flare. What is happening is that the light going through your lens is not all going to form the image and instead of going neatly through the lens a small proportion of the light reflects off internal lens surfaces and bounces around inside your lens. It finally arrives at camera sensor but in the wrong place to make up the image. Remember that your lens is made up of several glass lens elements so there is quite a scope for internal reflections to occur. So this is normal for these conditions (a bright light in darkish shot). The coatings on your lens surfaces are there to minimise flare by helping more of the light rays to go through the lens rather than bounce off its internal surfaces. But they are not completely effective so in difficult conditions you will get these ghosts. You can lessen the flare effect as Lex says or you can sometimes use it creatively. One method to reduce flare is to place the bright light right in the middle of the frame then crop the finished image though this is not always possible.</p>

<p>As mentioned above, reflections/ghosting happens. If you cannot avoid it, and it bugs you, then get thee to most any image editing program and clone out the demon.<br>

Your photo, with the flare cloned out, below. Demon free :o)<br>

Jim</p><div>00W7TL-233083584.jpg.8407c33060bf5a01459b44be135f2e74.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you...<br>

I have a UV filter attached. I had tried without it too.<br>

I have tried to position the glare outside the frame, but normally in those situations, I would also require to change the way I want to capture the image.<br>

I guess the best method would be to clone it. I was worried if there was something wrong with my lens. </p>

<p>True... The aperture might have been set wide open... plus hight ISO I imagine by the look... And there you have it.<br>

So! in the future for this hazy low light shots, lean onto a wall close the aperture to a 5.6 minimum and see how low can you get the ISO. Don't think the filter will really be a problem at this point. <br>

Now, that was something else... sorry. I would walk about till I find a more favourable angle.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alfredo... Not sure if I read your post right, but ISO isn't related to ghosting issues at all, though aperture does play a part. (BTW, the EXIF info for this pic shows it was shot at ISO 250, F/5.6, 1/60 sec).</p>

<p>True, another option is to stop down the aperture a ways (use a tripod, to help with the resulting slower shutter speed). Though, it won't effect the ghosting observed in the view finder at least for the D3000 - look for the result after taking the shot (or use DOF preview on cameras where this is available). That said, the sun is so close to the center in this pic, it may require significant F-stop increase to have much effect in this case.</p>