Mamiya 645 - 50mm shift lens, or 45mm fixed?

pete_andrews

I know this sort of "which lens is better" question is subjective,

and a bit irritating, but I'd really appreciate some opinions on the

M645 50mm shift lens.<p>I've got the opportunity to buy a 50mm f/4

N-series shift, in mint condition, at a really good price, but I

already have the older version 45mm f/2.8 lens, and I probably

wouldn't want to keep or carry both lenses.<br>So, what's the optical

quality of the shift lens like in general, and how does it compare to

the

old 45mm f/2.8?<p>I'm wavering, because I don't really want to lose

those extra few degrees of coverage, and even given the very good deal

I've been offered on the shift lens, it's still a lot of cash to part

with. Plus, I'd lose, and miss, the convenience of auto-aperture

operation, and the brighter viewfinder image.<p>Decisions,

decisions!<p>PS. I use a 35mm PC Nikkor *a lot* for my 35mm stuff, so

I do appreciate the extra functionality that a shift lens offers.

Using the Bronica Etrsi system myself,there isn't a shift lens(apart from a huge,heavy,optically great 55mm Schneider lens that is occasionally available 2nd hand for large amounts of money).However,the average wide-angle lens for the Bronnie is 50mm.Coming from 35mm and using a 28mm lens myself in the past,I really like(and prefer)the perspective of the 50mm lens in the 645 format.To have a reasonably priced shift lens available,that isn't the size and weight of a bazooka-I say go for it.Btw,I wouldn't worry about the optical quality of this lens-all current mf lenses(except maybe some of the russian/chinese stuff)will be good enough for all bar the snootiest hasselblad afficionados.

In my opinion the 50mm shift can in no way replace the functionality of the 45mm f2.8. It is not wide enough, and the F4 maximum aparture can be a problem as well. But when you need a shift lens, then you need a shift lens, and the 50mm shift is really brilliant. The act of shifting compensates for the slightly narrower view, and the f4 maximum aparture is then not a problem as you would normally have to use a tripod anyway. So keep the 45mm and get the shift as well if you can afford or justify it.

What Johan said. I use a PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 and while it's inconvenient to use as an all purpose lens I do so anyway. But it's essential to my architectural photography.

If I had a chance to add a medium format shift lens at a good price I'd go for it. They usually hold their resale value in case you decide later you don't need it.

If all that's holding you back is the narrower field of view, & you don't mind an obnoxiously large lens with an 82mm thread, <a href=http://www.kievcamera.com/Hartblei.pdf>these</a> lenses give you shift, tilt & still no automatic aperture diaphragm. I could've bought either this or the Mamiya 50, chose the gamble, and would never part with it as long as I continue to shoot the M645. It is a bit sharper than the Mamiya 50 I tested it against the middle apertures, but has less shift.