Peli Case inserts - comparisons

astral

<p>I have just inherited a Peli 1550 to add to my other 'expedition kit'; however, it doesn't have any inserts ... It will only be used to transport medium format gear in a off-roading 4x4, and not 'hand-portable'.<br /><br />I have used the regular "pluck-out" foams previously, but they are not 'future-proof (that is, easily re-configurable), though they can be made to hold gear snugly, but at the expense of some wasted space in order to keep the 'walls' firm. <br /><br />I'd appreciate any comments on any "<em>shake, rattle and roll</em>" with the Peli Padded Dividers insert system, and whether a large 645 slr camera can be easily accomodated.</p>

<p>Thanks<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p>The foam inserts get cut to the shape of your gear, so they provide the most protection. Although you should follow Pelican's advice that there should be 2 inches of foam between EVERYTTHING...gear, sides, bottom, and lid...for max protection. But, as you said, the foam only fits one configutation. And after many years, I've heard complaints that the foam starts to disintegrate.</p>

<p>The padded dividers offer reconfiguration easily. They are pretty padded so as to give your gear good protection. However, I personally would not recommend them in the hands of baggage handlers at airports. For your perpose of off road, I might try a little trick I heard about. Wrap your gear in the small bubble wrap stuff for packing....and then put it in the padded divider. I've heard this works great.</p>

<p>I have a 1550 that these days I don't use much since airlines started to view checked baggage as a revenue opportunity. But I did use a (now discontinued) Lowepro Omni Trekker that fitted snugly inside the 1550 and when reaching your destination you simply haul out the bag which has both shoulder and backpack modes. I use that to carry a Bronica 6x6, five lenses, three backs, a meter , filters and bits. Everything's on one level so you can work out of the Pelican if you want rather than taking the bag out of the case.</p>

<p>This combination used to be sold together or separately, but as I say the Omni trekker is discontinued though they are still occasionally around on *Bay. The very slightly smaller Omni Pro works well too if thats what you can find. I found this system much easier to use than either foam or dividers; you don't need to carry a separate bag and you don't have to spend time transferring stuff.</p>

<p>Good point David, I could just stuff cameras and lenses into their own padded bags (or a couple of socks, or bubble wrap as Thomas suggest) and pile the lot into the Peli, and other cases.<br>

That has the advantage that <em>any</em> item can be transferred to the lock-up cases without further fiddling with dividers. For the time being that takes the pressure off trying to order items before Easter.<br>

Slow brain day here today, D'oh!</p>

<p>I, too, have opted for factory (or similar) padded lens cases organized in the Peli case by the moveable dividers. Much more versatile, that way. Works great, and allows me to put in more non-fragile stuff (cables, clamps, other odds and ends) in areas without the extra padding that the cube-foam would mandate.</p>

<p>Thanks, I think the pluck foam may have its uses, but the compartments are rather more future-proof. The cost is quite significant though, so I have just improvised a compartment system using an old camping roll-up sleeping mat cut into strips. There's room for improvement through practical trial and error, but this approach costs only a few dollars/pounds/euros.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks, I think the pluck foam may have its uses, but the compartments are rather more future-proof. The cost is quite significant though, so I have just improvised a compartment system using an old camping roll-up sleeping mat cut into strips. There's room for improvement through practical trial and error, but this approach costs only a few dollars/pounds/euros. Clearly this isn't a good solution for a hand-portable case, but it should be fine for use in the car, etc.</p>

<p> </p><div>00W6SF-232569784.jpg.89a12373bc91de00df0912603fd127da.jpg</div>