Need advice: Leica M4-2

<p>Probably a dead thread, but wanted to comment anyway. I have a <strong><em>very</em> </strong>well used M4-2 that obvously has survived some hard knocks. The RF and shutter are accurate, and film advance is the smoothest of all M cameras I have personally used, except maybe the M3DS. I do prefer the lack of the 75 framelines in the VF, and don't find that the 135 lines are very intrusive when using the 35mm.<br>

The VF is a bit foggy. If I ever have it serviced, it would be nice to add an M3 advance lever, and maybe add an internal self timer.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Since I opened this thread 2 years ago, I was looking from time to time for a camera of this type. It had to be an M4-2, that was sure. Why? Because I liked its story and after all, it is a beautiful camera without gimmicks and purely mechanical. Today I found one and bought it. It has been manufactured 32 years ago (1980) and is one of the later production since it ended in 1980 I believe. So I am quite sure to have a robust camera for many many years to come ... provided films still exist.</p>

• 3 years later...

I have just chanced across this thread.

I use both M6 ttl and M4-2, both are in constant use without any problems.

My advice is regular CLA's for Leica. This is not the case for my Nikon SLR's. My Nikon technician only recommends service when a

problem arises, and that is rare as he is mainly relubricating and cleaning my lenses.

So regular service for leicas is good. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to use one for over twenty years without a clean as

lubricants do not age well.

If you were to see the internal grime they accumulate with normal use you would treat them to a regular CLA.

A strange paradox, but if my Nikons were to cause more problems they would receive a regular CLA.

I hope your M4-2 is still in good shape.

Best Regards

Paul