Death Valley in April 2010

robert goldstein

<p>I am headed for Death Valley in the first week of April 2010, and I would like recommendations for sites of particular photographic interest. Because of the El Nino rains, I anticipate a good wildflower season. I will be there for 3 days, and I will have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so I am willing to go a bit off the beaten path, but I am not able to do any death-march hiking. Also, is a side trip to the Mojave Desert worth the time and effort?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Rob</p>

<p>I was there in April 2008 and the temperature was great. I stuck to the main areas off the paved roads like Zabriski Point, the Mesquite dunes, Scotty's Castle, Artists Drive. I did some hikes through Mosaic and Golden Canyons. Getting to the Racetrack requires a 4WD vehicle.</p>

<p>I also drove through Mojave National Preserve on my way to Joshua Tree NP. It's a nice drive with lots of Joshua trees and the Kelso dunes are huge.</p>

<p>One very worthwhile day trip would be to drive to Rhyolite, Nevada, just at the eastern edge of the park and photograph the "ghost town" ruins. (Buy gas in nearby Beatty to save a lot compared to prices in the park.) Then return to the park via the Titus Canyon road, allowing plenty of time to stop along the way in Titus Canyon to photograph vegetation, side canyons, ghost town, etc. Another nice trip is to drive to the Charcoal Kilns (interesting and good photo site) and then return to the main part of Death Valley with stops at the Eureka mine site and Ageurreberry Point (nice sunset location). Walking out onto the salt flat at Badwater late in the day can be very nice for photography but there was water on the salt flats when I was there about a month ago. Reports are that the wildflowers are really starting to bloom in DV so you should get some great photos. There are lots of well known and well photographed sites accessible from the paved roads so you won't have any trouble finding things to see.</p>

<p>There are also lots of great places to explore with a 4WD vehicle in DV but remember that good tires and high ground clearance are usually more important than 4WD. The backcountry road map on the NPS website is a good resource.</p>

<p>Be especially aware of the weather if you do go through Titus Canyon. If there are rains in the area, even 20 miles away, it might be wise to skip the drive as there is nowhere to get to high ground once you are in the canyon proper. Flooding there can reach 10-15 feet up the canyon walls if a real hard rain comes down.</p>

<p>Jerry</p>