What type of electronic release for 645 645n and 645nII?

trex1

Can someone send me information, with how to attach a standard 645n electronic release to a regular manual

version of the Pentax 645? I understand that the same release can be used on both cameras, but not on the 645nII

which has a different connection. Is this correct?

<p>I don't believe the 645 and 645N share the same remote plug. The 645 was just a contact trigger where as the 645N needed halfpress for the AF.<br>

I think I had to get new remote for the 645N in 1997(?). That was a long time ago for a brain of my vintage.</p>

<p>On the 645: the plug-in is under a screw cap on the bottom side of the grip, if that helps. It looks like some kind of two-pin DIN plug. The cap for it has a checkered surface; it looks like a circle. It's right next to the slide-lock for the battery carrier. Press down on the cap, and rotate counter-clockwise to loosen. When the cap comes off, you'll see the connection fitting underneath.</p>

<p>There may be a way to remove the grip and use the grip's DIN plug-in to the chassis as a way to do it, but this method would probably need to supply power and trigger shutter. I don't know about that. </p>

<p>This is for the Pentax 645; I don't have an electronic release or know about the other cameras.</p>

<p>The two-pin cable socket on the bottom is for a remote battery pack (or, alternately, for detaching and using the original 645 grip as a remote release).<br>

The standard electric cable release for the 645N is the F-type. I do know for sure that it was common to the PZ-1 series of 35mm from 1992. They're often found for relatively cheap, used.<br>

Can't say for certain but I think this F-type flat 3 pin (proprietary Pentax) socket may also be common to the original or perhaps late production P645's. The cable itself dates back to the SF-1/N from the late 80's.<br>

The later 645NII used an altogether different socket and cable release, one that is rare and relatively expensive when found.</p>