When..?

shawn1965

<p>Currently a Canon 5d2 owner considering making the switch because I want a full frame camera with good autofocus that costs less than $8000. <br>

I assume this questions have been asked many times on this board but here it goes.. I am curious about when the D700 will be updated.. perhaps with more MP.. It seems like a nice machine as is though. I also assume that nobody really knows when or what upgrades would be made.. any guesstimates? I'd hate to make the switcheroo and have them announce one a month later.. thats it.</p>

<p>Shawn</p>

<p>Shawn, as we always say, anybody who has insider information is under non-disclosure agreement and will not reveal such information. Those who answer, like me, have no real information. My guess is that Nikon will update the D700 within 2010, but I am not sure how they will update it. Adding pixels is certainly a possibility.</p>

<p>If your 5D Mark II is still working, I would say sit tight and see what Nikon has to announce, unless the D700 is the exact camera you want.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My guess is.......... when Nikon are good and ready - and not a moment before........</p>

<p>If you want to speculate (pointless but I'll indulge myself anyway) my guess is mid year.... if you can't wait then buy the existing real deal circa $8k model with more MP and good autofocus...... the D3x........</p>

<p>I have cited a few times this interview DPReview conducted with Nikon's general manager for marketing during the PMA last month: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022304nikonbalance.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022304nikonbalance.asp</a></p>

<p>As far as I am concerned, Nikon has made it very clear that they will increase the pixel count on their up-coming DSLRs (at least that option will be availabe) and will have more constant f4 zooms to accompany the 16-35mm/f4 AF-S VR. It is way beyond "hints." But if you just want to buy more gear, no amount of hint or even actual product will stop that desire.</p>

<p>I have said this before and will say it again. If Nikon puts 20 to 24MP onto a D700 type body and maintains the current AF capability as the D3 and D700, it will be a DSLR that has a distinct advantage over Canon's 5D Mark II and therefore will be priced accordingly. I would expect at least a US$4000 price tag and it will clearly eat into the D3X's merket. In other words, feature-wise, you may get what you want, but the price will likely be more than what you want to pay.</p>

<p>Additionally, adding video capability to all future DSLRs is an obvious trend.</p>