Copyright year

ed_tobin

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I started last year getting my images copyrighted with the US government and I have a question about the correct text to use given that some images where submitted in 2009 and some in 2010.<br>

Do I just use the latest year or do I have to include both year such as "Copyright: 2009 & 2010 Ed Tobin"<br>

Thanks for you input</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

<p>Your copyright was created the moment you created the work. Federal registration of the work only gives you additional rights (e.g., to sue), presumptions and privileges. It is appropriate to list the date the copyright was created. You can also list the date it was renewed or modified, but unless you're worried about extending the copyright period (which extends beyond your death), it isn't necessary.</p>

<p>Standard form for copyright statement if you are reserving all rights:</p>

<p>Copyright © 2009, Ed Tobin, all rights reserved.</p>

</p>

<p>"Standard form for copyright statement if you are reserving all rights:<br>

Copyright © 2009, Ed Tobin, all rights reserved."<br>

Your "standard form" does not comply with the statutory form set forth in the Copyright Act. If you use the wrong form it may open the door to a judge disregarding the benefits you would otherwise be entitled to for placing a notice (there are some benefits despite the fact that notice is optional).<br>

In your case, pick the word copyright OR the symbol. And lose the words "all rights reserved." <br>

The statute is clear:</p>

<p >"Section 401 (b) Form of Notice. — If a notice appears on the copies, it shall consist of the following three elements:</p>

<p >(1) the symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright”, or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and</p>

<p >(2) the year of first publication of the work; ....</p>

<p >(3) the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner."</p>

<p>Jole is correct about the format of the copyright notice, of course. Not sure about whether it is useful to also note "all rights reserved" but it can't hurt to also have it in your EXIF data in the electronic files. But back to the original question that is a bit confusing: are we talking about multiple images on a page with different copyright years? Usually the copyright notice appears with each one, and it is the year of registration if you have in fact registered it, and not later materially altered the image.</p>

<p>"...it is the year of registration if you have in fact registered it, "<br>

It's strange that you write Jole is correct and then write that.<br>

If you still want to use the year of registration instead of the year of first publication, then be aware that in the view of the copyright office a notice dated more than one year later than the date of first publication is considered the same as omitting the notice altogether. (Source : US Copyright Office Circular 3 Copyright Notice under "omission of notice")</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If registration is timely (i.e., within section 412 time limits) then, yes, the two dates are the same.<br>

But that doesn't alter the rule which cares only about date of first publication. I think its problematic to tell people it's the date of registration and assume they are making a timely registration. It states the wrong rule and potentially gets people into trouble if the assumption is wrong.<br>

As for the OP, I also did not understand the question.</p>