Which next? Reflectors or off camera flash cord

<p>If you could only buy one of these two which would it be and why?<br />Off camera flash cord or set of reflectors<br />I photograph for fun and mainly family portraits and gatherings. (Though i do have a wedding soon which I am doing!)<br />I have a 40D with canon EFS17-55 is, EF28-135, and a nifty fifty. Oh yes and a Canon Speedlite 430ex<br />I am interested in developing my skills and wondered which of the above two items would be the next best thing to start experimenting with. Please don't factor in costs, I am only interested in which would be best for creating better shots and allow more creativity.<br />Thanks</p>

<p>I'd skip the flash <em>cord</em> and look instead at a radio trigger. That way you can put the flash wherever you want it, untethered from the camera. A simple stand, bracket, and umbrella is a very modest additional expense, and you're off and running in 'strobist' mode. It can hugely change your photographic opportunities and creative options. Skip the cable, unless it's just to connect the flash to a handheld bracket that's also mounting the camera... and that's really a pretty specific event shooting rig.</p>

<p>I bought a short cord for macro flash work, but I still prefer the wireless setup. It is much easier to go wireless no matter how close the flash will be. Look at the Canon ST-E2 instead of the cord. It retains E-TTL. So does the pocketwizard series, which is pricier but possibly more versatile.</p>

<p>Reflectors are of course very useful (see also umbrellas and softboxes) but you can make your own, use a wall, etc.</p>

<p>In the end, you will want both, and probably at least 2 flashes, but I'd start with getting the flash off-camera.</p>

<p>I have 3 flashes, 2 soft boxes and an umbrella set up triggered by simple cheap cactus (e-bay) triggers.<br>

Even with all this stuff, I still find myself shooting with just 1 speedlite and softbox combination using a reflector for fill most of the time.<br>

For me, a cheap trigger and 4 way reflector is the way to go, that way you can always use the sun and window lite to the best advantage.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am interested in developing my skills</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then I would say some sort of combo reflector: white diffuser with silver/gold/black etc, covers. Of course you will need a way to <em>position</em> the reflector. If shooting solo, then a C-Stand and sandbags are your friends. In short:</p>

<p>You want your lighting off-camera. Direction of light helps give you depth, color, and texture.<br>

The larger the light source, the softer the light (generally preferred for portraits). </p>

<p>To shoot a wedding however, you are going to need at least two flashes and a back up camera. Since you need another flash, pick up a 580 and use that to control the 430 off camera.</p>