Filter holder for 16-35mmL f/2.8 II

will king

<p>I'm switching from a Cokin P Series system to the Lee system. It's going to be a costly switch since I have 8 Singh Ray graduated NDs. I'm not that familiar with the Lee system so I was hoping to solicit some help.<br>

I just got the new Canon 16-35mm L f/2.8 II lens. It has an 83mm thread size. When I was shooting with the 16-35mm L f/2.8 first version on a full frame, and the 10-22mm on a 7D, the Cokin P Series sized filters were fine. Cokin makes a wide angle filter holder that only has one slot and doesn’t extend far from the lens so vignetting was not an issue. Keep in mind that the first version of the 16-35mm and the 10-22mm both have a 77mm thread size. I bought an 82mm adapter ring for the new 16-35mm however, it still vignettes with the wide angle holder up until I get to around 21mm. Not surprisingly so since the P series filters barely cover the front of the new 16-35mm lens.<br>

So, which Lee holder should I get? <br />Again, I'll be using it with a 5D Mark II and the new 16-35mm L f/2.8 II lens. I want to be able to shoot at 16mm without any vignetting. I'd also like to be able to use the larger 4x6 Singh Ray grad ND filters with the Lee system.<br>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use cokin Z pro filters on the 16-35 F2.8 II and they work fine. I found that it is best to rebuild the holder so the ring mounts nearer the filter than the way it is sold but I have had no problems even with a thin UV filter on the lens. I had a similar experience with the P series. Since the Zpro is 4" filters I am sure you will have no problem with Lee or Singh Ray which are the same size. Hopefully someone will tell you what filter holder but the Cokin will work.</p>

<p>I use Lee and their wide angle holder with 4x6 filters on my 16-35 II and generaly no problems, you will need to remove the outer 2 filter holders from the foundation kit or buy the wide angle hood with a single slot, the Singh Ray filters can be modified to fit by gluing strips down their edges to fit the thicker gaps on the Lee holder. you may want to read <a href="http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/2009/04/filters-in-digital-age.html">this</a></p>

<p>Ross</p>