M6TTL quick start questions

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

Quick question for all the Leica RF aficionados out there. I'm in the market for a mint condition .72VF M6TTL and I've recently spotted one online advertised at a brick and mortar store for $1799. This seems a bit high to me. What are the thoughts of the crowd? <br /> <br /> Also, are there any specific questions I should be asking both individuals and dealers about any perspective cameras? Should I be concerned with the number of rolls of film shot thought it and the number of shutter actuations? Whatever advice the community has is most sincerely appreciated. I'm looking so forward to acquiring my camera and I'm sure your thoughts will prove invaluable. <br /> <br /> Thanks much. I'm always at cmgreenberg@hotmail.com. Speak soon.<br /> Chris</p>

<p>I've seen a couple of them listed recently in the photo.net Classifieds for $1300 or $1400. I understand that at t a store a profit needs to be made and that the store purchased the gear from someone else, marked it up and is re-selling it, and for that service you get the store's voucher that the equipment is what they claim, but even still $1799 for mint seems high.<br>

<br /> But maybe I'm completely wrong and that is the going rate.<br>

More thoughts are sincerely appreciated.<br>

<br /> Thanks</p>

$1799 is definitely the high end of the price scale for a TTL. You should be able to get a good one for $1300-1500, but it

may take some patience, as there are not a huge number of TTL's. Check KEH; they usually have competitive, sometimes

even lower prices than ebay.

<p>There's mint and then there's mint. For one that's in excellent shape, unmarked and as new I wouldn't say $1799 is unreasonable. I'd certainly expect to pay more than that round dealers in my area.</p>

<p>No need to worry about shutter actuations or the amount of film put through it. Unlike digital cameras, which have a preset number of theoretical actuations, there's no limit on an M6. With occasional servicing it's designed to last indefinitely. A lot of people will also say the more it's been used the better, as the shutter feel becomes smoother with more use, and film loading and transport becomes easier due to the mechanism bedding in nicely.</p>

<p>Purchase your M6TTL based on condition first and price second.<br>

A Mint in the box with all paperwork is certainly a better buy than a well used camera with no box et al. Usually those that come in the original box and look mint have been hardly used and I would certainly pay and have paid more for such a camera. The standard camera checks apply and it is not too difficult to run through them with an M but you must have a lens to mount for rangefinder and meter checks. I would not take anyones word about anything working unless I personally verify.Good luck!-Dick</p>

6 months ago from a private party I paid $1500 for an absolutely mint looks brand spankin' new TTL, and then sold the 1.25 Leica

magnifier that came with it, so ended up getting the camera for $1350. I had to look a couple months though to find the

deal. They are out there, owners who hardly use their camera and then decide to sell it. But the TTL is fairly rare. If you're impatient, pay $1800, but make sure the seller is reputable and offers a return policy if you're not satisfied.

The fact it's $1800 in a box in and of itself doesn't guarantee anything about the condition of the camera.

<blockquote>

<p>"any specific questions I should be asking both individuals and dealers "</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ask if there is any paperwork indicating the last service. Request also to put a roll of film in it and fire off the roll. Best to bring a lens with you that you know has no issues.</p>

<p>While checking the focus & meter accuracy, pictures should be fired at the most critical & <strong>problematic </strong>shutter speed setting. 1,000th is the one that will quickly show you if the curtains are balanced. You can best see the possible error with an <strong>even</strong> sky. If the balance is off you'll see blanking or gradient uneven exposures. (If it's really bad, as you release the shutter without a lens mounted, you can actually see it with the naked eye as you look through the back of the camera at the shutter)</p>

<p>Also look closely at the body covering, it is of the self-stick type, if it's been pulled off, you can usually see the evidence of it. (If it was re-applied sloppy, I'd beware) </p>

<p>Finally I'd try to request a guarantee of some type, this way your covered for at least a short period of time.<br>

I personally love the M6 TTL model, but they aren't as hearty as the non metered M bodies.</p><div>00W4FE-231447784.JPG.71ea01383ac2dc077fd724cea384f4c3.JPG</div>

I got my two M6TTL for about $1295 each some six years ago... and I have noticed the prices going just a bit above what I paid. It's not uncommon to find them at $1350 now, so to ask $1799 for one, no matter how "mint," takes a lot of gall.

Going rate for them seems to be between $1350 and $1500. Don't worry about actuations, but make sure the speeds are fine (testing the 1/1000 like Gus said seems to be the best parameter; also listen to the 1/15th and its peculiar sound). Also, look through the viewfinder and use a lens to see if the rangefinder is correctly aligned. Test the meter with different apertures and ISOs and see if the variations make sense.

I don't know what else to recommend, but make sure the seller allows returns... just in case you're not happy with the camera. But don't buy one at $1799 unless you can lower the price significantly.

Was this one recently cleaned, lubricated and adjusted (CLA'ed)? If so, that may be the reason for the price. If it wasn't... then they're nuts.

<p>Thanks so much to everyone for all of their excellent, well-reasoned and explained thoughts and advice on my M6TTL question. I actually called Leica USA today and visited with someone there about the cameras and I learned something really interesting. This gentleman told me that Leica recommends making three or four frames at every shutter speed at least once a month to make sure the lubrication and grease is evenly spread thought the mechanism.<br>

He said that mint cameras that have been sitting in a box unused for a while will probably require service as the grease will likely have congealed and gotten gummy, which will cause the shutter times to be off. Leicas that have been put to good use are almost a better way to go. <br>

When I asked him about whether or not I should be concerned about the number of rolls of film sent through the body and shutter actuations as is a concern with DSLRs, he said "No, rangefinder shooters tend to shoot less than those using digital, so an older Leica will likely have fewer actuations on the shutter than a newer DSLR...and that made perfect sense to me.<br>

So now I'm in the market for an M6TTL that has been used but well cared for. The quote of $1799 that I mentioned at the top of this post was from a big camera outlet, and even B&H is offering an M6TTL for $1699. Which I suppose is reasonable given that they have to make a bit of profit. The body is worth $1300, they sell it for $1700, I get that. Now the trick will be to find a camera that has good use, but not too much use, well loved but not so well loved that it's been in a box. I'll check the classifieds of photo.net but if any of you all have any other sources for such things I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. Thanks much fellas.<br>

Speak soon.<br>

Chris</p>