selling pics to entertainers at the same event

<p>I recently was hired to shoot a child's birthday party. There were also jugglers at the event, and afterwards they gave me their card and asked me to send them any pics that I took of them.<br>

I did get a couple of nice photos of them, and would like to share ... but of course I am hesitant to just give them away.<br>

Is it reasonable for me to charge them for the photos (if so, how much)? or do I just give them away with my website tagged in the bottom corner?<br>

It would be nice to think that if I gave them away, the favor would come back to me via a referral, but I'm way too jaded to believe in that.</p>

<p>I would absolutely give them some free prints, with your name/number/website stamped on the back. Tell them how impressed you were with their performance and if you know of people looking for jugglers you will pass their name along, and ask that they do the same for you. Go with a "let's help each other out" attitude. If they want to use the pix on a web site or in a brochure, tell them they can use it for free provided they give you a photo credit next to the picture. It's free advertising for you at their expense. Hopefully they will say good things about you and send you some referrals. If not, it's only cost you the cost of the prints.</p>

i never could understand why a person would ask if their efforts are worth paying for. . . they say no question is a dumb one, and i agree but if you think what you do has a value and you can get someone to pay for it, why not? Dont belittel yourself or your skills. So, yes, charge them and it's likely they will be willing to pay something for the images - if they dont, ask them when they are not busy if they wouldnt mind doing some free jugling . . .

The point is this, charge them for the shots, they will expect to pay for them. . . do NOT give them away

for free. . . dont be a jerk about it, but also be straight up, tell them that you'd sell them prints or even

license the images for use if they want to talk about it. . . you also could, as you mentioned trade - trading is just selling but not receiving cash . . .

Also, business deals work best if both parties agree to an equitable proposal . . . if it works for you, and

you think he can tell the people who hire him about your services that's great. . . heck you might even find

you can partner up with him and offer a clown and guy with a camera in one package. . .

<p>Absolutely. Charge, charge, charge. There is only bland and unlikely reasons not to. Charge because is the right thing to do, full stop.<br>

Is also a good way to start the best of friendships, if it's ever to be, it's more likely to evolve from the coldest and careless of attitudes where little interest is actually shown to each other, than from a "we are friends just because we are kind of attitude..." those never go anywhere, leave them for the needy and lonely... Your not messing around, you are a professional, let them try to reach you if they need you. And if they are that good that you might consider further shoots with them.? then, be prepared to pay for their service as well. This is a good way to show respect between the parties, and that is the single foundation for both business and friendship.<br>

Trade your skills...? sure. But always establish the right grounds of professionalism before this even reach's the table. Be cold, not cocky!Cold. this means to speak up loud and clear(respectfully and reasonably) what do you want to achieve? what do they want to achieve? and so on. be clear. Not meticulous, just clear. Ask questions openly and name the price as if you have done it before and have never got rejected. You see what I'm saying. <br>

Get in there and make it happened. If you can do that, whether further business or partnership follows after will have little to do with you personally. So treat it as your one and only chance to get something done with it in real time. In the end at least you have that if nothing further.<br>

Most people have their mind made up about most business before the negotiation begins. Most job interviews are a mere exercise and a formality, that is why seemingly unexplainable results so often derive from them, this is because the person has little more than minor influence in the final decision. And so that is why the golden advise comes up over and over, Be yourself and be calm. That way if there is no desired outcome of a situation at least one still has oneself, and clear conscience that failure on your part was not the case(acting like something else to make people like you or "buy you" is always failure even after achieving what is desired) but other factors that contributed their decision. <br>

Hope you get my drift here. Good luck = )</p>

<p>Absolutely. Charge, charge, charge. There is only bland and unlikely reasons not to. Charge because is the right thing to do, full stop.<br>

Is also a good way to start the best of friendships, if it's ever to be, it's more likely to evolve from the coldest and careless of attitudes where little interest is actually shown to each other, than from a "we are friends just because we are kind of attitude..." those never go anywhere, leave them for the needy and lonely... Your not messing around, you are a professional, let them try to reach you if they need you. And if they are that good that you might consider further shoots with them.? then, be prepared to pay for their service as well. This is a good way to show respect between the parties, and that is the single foundation for both business and friendship.<br>

Trade your skills...? sure. But always establish the right grounds of professionalism before this even reach's the table. Be cold, not cocky!Cold. this means to speak up loud and clear(respectfully and reasonably) what do you want to achieve? what do they want to achieve? and so on. be clear. Not meticulous, just clear. Ask questions openly and name the price as if you have done it before and have never got rejected. You see what I'm saying. <br>

Get in there and make it happened. If you can do that, whether further business or partnership follows after will have little to do with you personally. So treat it as your one and only chance to get something done with it in real time. In the end at least you have that if nothing further.<br>

Most people have their mind made up about most business before the negotiation begins. Most job interviews are a mere exercise and a formality, that is why seemingly unexplainable results so often derive from them, this is because the person has little more than minor influence in the final decision. And so that is why the golden advise comes up over and over, Be yourself and be calm. That way if there is no desired outcome of a situation at least one still has oneself, and clear conscience that failure on your part was not the case(acting like something else to make people like you or "buy you" is always failure even after achieving what is desired) but other factors that contributed their decision. <br>

Hope you get my drift here. Good luck = )</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p><em>I agree with Craig in the "Let's help each other out category". Example - a photographer I knew was walking the beach with his camera. He saw a little boy playing in the sand with his father. The photographer took several pictures and then told the Dad he could send them to him. The Dad just happened to be the Vice President of a television station and provided this photographer with high paying jobs for the next 4 years. You never know who you may run into and networking can pay off. These entertainers may have great connections and provide several jobs. If you are worried about your work - simply put your name at the bottom of the photos with a website. The Charge, Charge, Charge view is great but it may leave a negative message that may bring a negative reputation. I would suggest not making this a regular practice, but there are times it could lead to more work which means more money. </em></p>