I am going to visit new orleans for a week, Should I take my Camera with me?

Xinca

<p>I heard it is dangerous over there and people suggest do not take expensive camera to there. But when I look at photos of new orleans I really want to bring my 5dMK2 with me for this trip.<br>

What should I do? Did anyone be there before? <br>

Thanks for any suggestion.</p>

<p>If you stay in the tourist areas you should be safe. If you're worried, get a good P&S. Look for one with a 28mm equivalent wide end. You'll find the wide end more useful than the long end. A Canon G10 or G11 would be perfect. I have a Nikon P6000 that I like very much, but you may what to stick with Canon.</p>

<p>Alex,</p>

<p>A lot of it has to do with attitude. If you’re worried and protective about your camera,

it will draw attention to it. If the camera is just a tool of the trade, like a wrench or a notepad or a

cell phone, it’ll almost become invisible. Don’t be abusive to the tool, but don’t baby it, either.</p>

<p>When was the last time you heard about a photojournalist being mugged for the camera

gear? (Yes, I’m sure it’s happened, but nowhere near as often as tourists getting mugged for their cameras and wallets and watches and what-not. And those photojournalists are carrying 1-series bodies and L glass, sometimes multiple bodies and often multiple lenses; the tourists have Rebels with kit lenses. Hell, the journalist might well be carrying a flash head worth more than the typical tourist’s entire rig!)</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you act and look like a tourist…well, you’ll be a lot more comfortable (and therefore enjoy yourself a lot more) with a cheap, inconspicuous camera you don’t care much about, anyway.</p>

<p>In other words, if the purpose of the trip is for photography, stop worrying and just do your thing. If the purpose is something else (vacation, business, whatever) and you just want to snap a few pics while you’re there, get something disposable.</p>

<p>Oh — and that advice applies to pretty much every concentration of humans on the planet. New Orleans isn’t anything special in that regard.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p> Yes, take it. Use common sense as to where you choose to go. Robbery/losing your beloved camera is not your biggest worry in NOLA. Stay wherever you see other tourists.</p>

<p>You may want to avail yourself some information by looking here:</p>

<p>http://citizencrimewatch.org/</p>

<p>http://spotcrime.com/la/new+orleans</p>

<p>http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/24/crime.stats/index.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I wandered the French Quarter alone in 2002 with a Digital Rebel, frequently until very late at night. The only place people told me to stay away from was Louis Armstrong Park, which I did. I never felt threatened or in danger. Like anywhere, keep your wits about you and stay aware of your surroundings. Talk to the locals and find out what areas are safe. Just like any big city. Is Bourbon Street going to have pickpockets during Mardi Gras? Of course. Just don't be one of the drunk tourists with more money than brains.</p>

<p>I've never been to New Orleans, but recently spoke to a couple of people who live there...and basically asked the same questions you've posed, Alex. The cemetaries of N.O. are renowned as wonderful sites for photography. I was warned by the natives that you'd best be careful in these areas. The safest circumstances would be with a group of people, and to avoid being there too early, or too late in the day. Lots of places for the criminal element to hide and ambush you if you become isolated from the group...even in broad daylight.</p>

<p>I've been to New Orleans several times in the last few years and love the French Quarter. I wandered through the Garden District, Warehouse District and French Quarter during the days with no concerns. The cemeteries are terrific, but require extra caution. I only went through cemeteries during mid-day hours and made certain I wasn't the only visitor. At night I found the tourist areas of the French Quarter well patrolled and safe, but I wouldn't venture down dark alleys any more there, than I would in any large urban area.<br>

You'll have a wonderful time. The food is great (don't forget Acme Oysters), the architecture is wonderful and it's one of the most photogenic places I know of.</p>

<p>I did not read all of the post, however, keep the camera with a strap around you so it is not an easy grab and run. Most of those folks do not want a struggle and simply want a clean get away. Never leave it just sitting around, even for a moment and even its "right beside" you. All they need is for you to be distracted for a second and its gone. This is true no matter where you go, even to your own local park.</p>

<p>If someone does want to go toe to toe with you over it, by all means, let them have it. Who ever writes your home policy can likely write a seperate policy for your gear. The one I can get cost $10/year for ever $1000 dollars covered with no deductable and full replacement cost paid to me. In other words, they don't reduce payout because of age of the camera and other gear. The policy covers it no matter what happens....period.</p>

<p>For a more comfortable way to carry your camera, check out the <a href="http://www.blackrapid.com/">"R strap" from BlackRapids</a>.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot! Guys. I will take my 5D.<br>

Extra Q, I want to be light at road because actually I go there for MS Teched.<br>

My Lens's plan:<br>

5D+16-35/F2.8 for sure<br>

I also have a 350D, 70-200/F4 and will have 24-70/2.8. Do I need them over there too?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>There is a ferry that takes you across the river to the Mardi Gras parade float storage facility. It is open to tourists. They store all the floats and assemble/repair from year to year. Look it up and go if you have time. It's got plenty of photo ops.</p>

<p>Having wondered about with a D200 one year, and both a D300 and a D700 in the streets during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, knock-on-wood -- nothing threatening was noticed in 2009 or 2010.</p>

<p>You, depending on what you like to photograph, may want a wide-angle zoom and at least one moderate tele zoom lens. The longer lens will work well for people shots unless you like to walk right up close for a 28mm shot of a man or lady in the streets. You'll find street musicians, and a variety of subjects in New Orleans.</p>

<p>New Orleans<br /><br>

<br /> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=955974<br /><br>

<br /> New Orleans 2<br /></p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=813468<br /></p>

<p>Thanks for all again.<br>

Just bought a 18-200 cheap lens and will put it on 350D.<br>

Then I will also take 5D with 16-35.<br>

So I can deicide which one I should use.<br>

I enjoy wide angle shot in City.<br>

Anther question, I booked a 4 star hotel because I need the security box in Room. But it that "security box" really security? I plan to leave my 5D in hotel when I am in conference.</p>

<p>You would have to ask the hotel what size the security box is?</p>

<p>If in doubt, just find a small backpack and a Domke wrap: take your gear with you to the conference and you may not have to worry about it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Definitely take your camera. NO has a big investment in tourism... and the police, for all their faults and corruption, take great pains to make certain the tourist areas are safe. Go a few blocks outside the safe zone and it may be a different matter, but the tourist areas are going to be safe.<br>

And I would take my gear to the conference too. It's too easy to get outside and shoot a bit during breaks in the conference.</p>

<p>Definitely take your camera. NO has a big investment in tourism... and the police, for all their faults and corruption, take great pains to make certain the tourist areas are safe. Go a few blocks outside the safe zone and it may be a different matter, but the tourist areas are going to be safe.<br>

And I would take my gear to the conference too. It's too easy to get outside and shoot a bit during breaks in the conference.</p>