DSLR Photo Etiquette for everyday situations

george_berney

<p>So, I've done a lot of soul searching and decided on the Nikon D90 as my first DSLR and was kind of wondering what the rule changes are from a compact P&S.</p>

<p>I've looked up photo etiquette on google, here, and elsewhere, and a lot of what I am finding is for specialized situations. Reading insights from pro wedding photographers is great insight, and incredibly helpful since I had not really thought about events from their perspective, but I was really wondering about normal situations.</p>

<p>I have read that there are some places that do not allow 'cameras with detachable lenses', but I can't seem to narrow down what places those are, and that's not something I had ever even thought about being a problem. One of the things I would really hate is bringing my camera somewhere and then having to go back out to my car to hide it since I can't bring it with me. I would prefer not to give thieves any idea of what I am leaving in an unattended vehicle.</p>

<p>So, basically, I'm wondering what places I won't be able to bring my D90 and for the places that I can, what kind of photo-etiquette standards are in place. Not necessarily even the rules of the place, but your rules for yourself as well.</p>

<p>I'm especially interested in times when you have been out and when somebody new to the hobby or somebody who was just plain obnoxious got on your nerves or the times when you may have been the culprit and got a chance to learn from your mistakes.</p>

<p>A few the easy ones that I have managed to pick up on would be:<br>

1. Using flash in inapropriate areas such as churches, museums, places where the ambiance is the attraction, or any other place where flash is prohibited.<br>

2. setting up a mini studio with external flashes, tripods, etc, in museums, crowded areas, etc?<br>

3. shadowing a professional photographer in order to get 'his shots'.</p>

<p>So, what else am I missing?</p>

<p>1. Shooting close-ups of strangers can breed discontent.<br />2. Streams of questions or comments from a beginner can be a distraction during a shoot.<br />3. Practice 'holding steady with camera' from sitting on the sidewalk, to squatting, standing, leaning on a pole, rail, or wall. The camera is steadier if you are holding your breath while releasing the shutter during handheld work! The more the 'holding steady' becomes second nature, the more time to think about composing the shot, or preparing for the next one.<br />4. Practice being part of the background, and not being noticeable (blending-in).<br />5. Study lots of group pictures, and decide what works well - arranging people for a nice, group shot. This should help with time management, when they're standing there looking at you.<br />6. Study flash photography, artificial lighting/flash effects, and practice with these tools.<br />7. You mentioned churches. After services, or empty churches have possibilities. I've learned to ask the rector, priest, or secretary for ideas or permission to do projects. This is also true for museum situations if you are early, or later in the day, and can accomplish with a minimum of disruption - ask and you shall receive, hopefully!</p>

<p>I don't really want to do 'group photos' or even really photo shoots. I just want to add an accessory to my daily life(in the form of a DSLR) and not be the obnoxious relative who is always reaching for the camera, even though I want to always be reaching for the camera.</p>

<p>At a scenic point, I also don't want to interfere with other people who are shooting, but then again, I don't want to fade into the background and never get a chance to take my shots for being too considerate.<br>

Perhaps its just a balance that everybody finds their own comfort level with. I just don't want to be 'that guy' who is inconsiderate or brings a DSLR to some place that is inapropriate.</p>

<p>I'm sure I am overthinking this entire thing, but I am just as sure that some of you who are more serious about photography have gotten downright hostile with somebody who was just beginning who violated some unwritten rules...I'm just trying to figure out what those rules are.</p>

<p>If you're destined to be <em>that guy</em> , then go with it. I'm <em>that guy</em> in my circle of family and friends. I'm comfortable with that role. After awhile, people ask me "where's your camera" on those rare occasions when I don't bring one.</p>

<p>Watch this <a href="

of Garry Winogrand</strong> </a> at work. The way he fits into situations almost effortlessly is a pretty good style to emulate if you want to be the guy who documents the lives of those around you - family, friends, your community.</p>

<p>After awhile, only you can decide what you're comfortable with. I bring a camera almost everywhere and take photos even where it's officially prohibited. What's interesting is that almost nobody notices. I'm not furtive or sneaky. Neither am I ostentatious about it. See something, raise camera, take pic, lower camera... it's as natural as looking or gesturing. I just happen to record a photo along with the gesture. (I also take a lot of utter crap photos and delete most of 'em.)</p>

<p>Proceed with confidence; use people skills; have respect for your subject. Explore the world with your camera, and build good illustrations of it.</p>

<p>You are over-thinking this. Make pictures. </p>

<p>Don't forget to take the lens cap off. ;-) It happens to all of us, eventually. </p>

<p>Some concert venues will allow them, but this is a case where it's usually easy enough to call ahead. For sporting events, some arenas have certain rules, possibly similar to the somewhat meaningless 'detachable lens' rule you mentioned..but some are OK. I brought a not super-tiny 80-320 zoom to Yankee Stadium without any hassle. So far, I've never had to take the camera back to the car...I guess this is because I normally call ahead if there's any doubt. Furthermore, in some cases, even if they don't want you to shoot, you just put the camera back in the bag. </p>

<p>I think from a general ettiquette perspective, I don't want my shooting to detract from other peoples' experience--at a concert for example, I don't shoot with flash, and I try to avoid shooting when the music is soft and my shutter noises would stand out.</p>

<p>Probably the one place where I got the worst looks was when I was helping take some pictures of a local bowling competition. I'm down taking a picture when a flash goes off (not mine). </p>

<p>Of course I'm the one with the big camera and they assume it was me. I politely explain that I would not have the flash on. As i'm explaining... pop goes the flash from the other guy.... That made life easier.</p>

<p>"The camera is steadier if you are holding your breath while releasing the shutter during handheld work!"</p>

<p>Is this true? I'm a beginner and my photography instructor just told us that it's steadier as you slowly exhale. Thoughts? I do a lot of hand held shooting so I'm really interested in this.</p>

<p>Donna, since I started this thread, I am obviously not an expert, but in general, it is poor advice to hold your breath while doing anything that takes a steady hand. From a firearms background, slowly exhaling while gently squeezing the trigger, trying not to anticipate when the trigger will actually release is the best way for a steady shot.</p>

<p>My assumption is that photography is no different. Both depend on looking through optics and minimizing any variables possible. By holding your breath, you introduce shake from the muscle tension required to hold your diaphram still and in extreme circumstances, shake from reduced levels of oxygen. The best advice is to take normal, or even slightly deeper breaths than normal, smoothly exhale while gently squeezing the trigger/shutter and not to poke, jerk, or jab at it. Timing between heartbeats can also show results. If you have image review turned on, don't be in a hurry to look at the picture. Finish your shot, so to speak.</p>

<p>As far as DSLR etiquette and my original question, I've learned that there isn't any. I went to the arboretum this weekend for some Easter pictures of my daughter, and it was a nightmare. Idiots taking pictures of my daughter using high powered flash which interfered with my exposure and upset her. People walking in front of me. People standing in front of me. People finding a way to be in the background even when I sought out areas that were uncrowded. In general, just too many people. </p>

<p>I would be waiting with my wife and daughter to allow other people to finish the pictures they were taking and people would shove past me, shove past the people who were there first, and hang around in their field of view until the people who were there at first gave up and left. </p>

<p>My faith in humanity and photographers in general has sunk to a level I did not deem possible prior to that trip.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>George -</p>

<p>Arboretum's and popular public places in general are not the high point of anyone's photographic day. Unless you go there at off hours or are focusing only on the plant life. </p>

<p>Try getting a shot of Disneyland or World - without 6 million people in the photo. Pretty near impossible unless you are the first ones through the gate. </p>

<p>My suggestion for good family photos is to get there at opening or right before closing. Or skip the popular place and find a nice quiet park for the shoot.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>like Lex, i always have a camera and AM THAT GUY. I almost always shoot natural light. I just pump up the ISO and use fast lenses. From your list....flash is not allowed in museums because exposure to bright lights can slowly damage some art work. Setting up stands for your outdoor studio in crowded places is usually forbidden....for safety reasons. I would never follow a pro to get his shots....probably not illegal, but i honestly want MY shots, not his. I might watch them intently to see how they go about it, but never shadow them.</p>

<p>Flash in other places, churches for instance......a church is private property (in that it's not paid by public funds.......read.....taxes) and therefore the owners have the final say. Even in museums, which are usually public, taking pics of travelling exhibits is not usually allowed....the museum doesn't own them, the private photographer or collector does, so they get the final call.</p>

<p>So, as you can see, my only concerns in etiquette is safety and private ownership. Those are the only places I won't shoot unless I ask first. otherwise it's all public property and I have as much right to shoot pics as the rest of the people have being there.</p>

<p>At friends homes, or friends of friends homes, I bring my camera and shoot. I was invited and I feel that allows me to shoot. This is how P&S photographers are handled at most parties/get togethers, just because I use a bigger camera should not mean the rules are different. If the owners of the property say otherwise, I stop.</p>