Nikon N90s

User_2019667

<p>I recently purchased a Nikon N90s body. I fitted it with an almost new Nikon AF 50mm 1:1.8D lens. I loaded a roll of Fuji 400ISO negative film into the camera and after making several exposures, instead of the camera showing the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder and the LCD panel, the letters err started blinking at both locations. I checked the trouble shooting section of the cameras manual and found where it said if err blinks inside the viewfinder and LCD panel that a non DX coded film or film with an unacceptable DX code is loaded. Set manually to correct film speed. When I loaded the film the LCD panel did show in fact that it was loaded with 400 ISO film. I pushed the ISO button manually and the LCD panel shows that yes, it is loaded with 400 ISO film. The camera still fires off an exposure and the film advances. But I have no idea at what aperture or shutter speed. Has anyone experienced this issue with a Nikon N90s or F90X? I admit that I am new at using this camera and I followed the steps in the manual for basic shooting. I am on frame number 15 and probably about 5 or 6 frames it actually worked as it should showing the aperture and shutter speed that the camera selected. I would appreciate any input.<br>

John P.<br>

</p>

<p>As a recent N90S convert, let me jump in - First, I pulled the manual out and looked at every entry for ERR and FEE that appears. The common FEE error shows in the LCD panel where the aperture setting normally appears, lens is not set to smallest aperture setting (and shutter is locked), pp. 23, 58 of manual. When you operate in P or S mode with the aperture unlocked and changed from the smallest setting-you'll get the ERR in both those modes. When you move to one of those modes from M or A mode-you've got to lock the little bugger on the smallest aperture or you'll get the ERR. They start by telling you to lock in down in those two modes-but they don't mention the ERR error if you do not. ERR does not show on p. 54-59 or in the troubleshooting section in the back of the manual. Oops. You can have fun, now!</p>

<p>-John</p>

<p>John, I appreciate the input but I forgot to mention in my thread that I did have the lens locked in to the smallest f/22 aperture and I am still getting the err blinking in the LCD panel and the viewfinder. No fee blinking anywhere on the camera. So the lens not being locked into the smallest fstop is not the problem I don't think. <br>

John P</p>

<p>Low batteries can make normal funtions misbehave- so to speak. A change of batteries, or removing the lens completely and reattaching it are two possibilities. I've got the same AA batteries in the camera from January, which the *bay seller shipped inside the camera. And, they have hickup'd a couple of times on the LCD panel indications. I'll probably replace them by the weekend.</p>

<p>BTW, my AFD lens 'lock' button leans one way and can appear to be switched, when it is not (not perfect alignment of the plastic part).</p>

<p>Remember, when all else fails, you can go back to default settings, and then reset your preferences from there.</p>

<p>John Bernard, Once again I thank you for responding. I put brand new Duracell alkaline batteries in the camera when I first got it. The battery indicator in the LCD screen is showing full battery charge. I double checked the lock button on the 50mm AF lens and it is locked into the F/22 position. I did rewind the film that I had originally put in the camera and put a fresh roll of fuji negative 400 ISO film in. The camera advanced to the number 1 photo position and the blinking err display had disappeared and the aperture and shutter speed was both displayed in the view finder and the LCD panel. After taking the 1st picture it went right back to the blinking err in both the viewfinder and the LCD panel. I pretty much tried about everything I thought I should do. I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch but I have been using SLR cameras since about 1970 but this N90s just does not want to cooperate. Maybe I should stick with my F3, I know how to use the manual kind. :) Thanks again John<br>

John P.</p>