Are images at risk with remote access by tech support?

<p>The times I've allowed remote access, it seems possible that they could have done pretty much what they wanted, just as remote access programs allow you to do anything on your own machine as well. However, the few times that's been necessary, I was watching what they were doing and probably could have interrupted anything dire. The remote control procedures may have been unnecessary but with language differences and some deafness, trying to get talked through some of these things might be equally difficult and clearly a lot more time consuming.</p>

<p>However, the potential that a remote or local service person could damage something is a possibility and along with the always present possibility of failures, is another reason to have a comprehensive back-up plan and multiple copies of your files.</p>

<p>Yes a remote access tech will have access to anything on your machine. He will also have admin rights so he can fix whatever. Is your stuff at risk? It depends on how you define that term. The best way to solve the problem from your side is to copy ALL of them to a couple or three USB drives and then delete them from your machine. That makes it a little difficult for them to be accessed. Having less than three copies of your data files is looking for even more trouble. :(</p>

<p>Bob, a computer guy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>With some remote access software packages, background task file transfer windows only show on the remote control screen and not on the host that is being controlled, so you wouldn't see what is going on. :( </p>

<p>As Craig said, there is always the possibility when patching a windoze machine for something to blow up and leave the machine unable to boot, or worse. BTDT, bought the T-shirt a few times over the past few decades. :(</p>

<p> </p>

<p>With all due respect, Bob ... if you gave me an admin shell account on a Linux box or a Mac, I could render them unbootable, too, or at least in Major Train Wreck condition. In moments.<br /><br />It shouldn't matter if a support tech could accidentally blow away your files. Because... you should have them all backed up on at least two other storage devices <em>no longer connected to your computer</em> at all times anyway. That changes the situation from being a disaster to simply being annoying.</p>

<p>Matt, I wasn't alluding to sabotage! Windoze boxes have this uncanny ability to even self destruct with automatic updates enabled!<br>

The sad reality is over 50% of users never back up their data files, at home or at work. If they have had a close call or worse, they will for a while, but eventually complacence takes over. Whenever I visit a client, I check their backups to make sure they are being done and the backup media is readable. More than once I've found the media is bad and no one noticed or looked at the log report. Even worse is when the last backup done was the one I scheduled weeks or possibly months ago. "Too busy" is often the excuse I hear. On a couple of occasions, that turned into a bill for thousands for data recovery or recreation.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have an external hard drive with a Mac set up to do Time Machine backups and Carbon Cloner backups that are bootable. Any data that I value goes out on a thumb drive with me at all times and also lives on a thumb drive in the house. </p>

<p>Automating system backups is the way to go -- then it's not something you have to think about doing. Having a bootable backup complete system saved me quite a lot of hassle once when my internal hard drive died.</p>

<p>And I have a second external hard drive for backing up photos which is disconnected except when in use, no automation there but if I had a second Firewire 800 drive case, instead of the 400, I might even automate that.</p>

<p>I'm sure there are equivalent Windows and Linux solutions.</p>

<p>Congrats, Rebecca, at least some IT type person isn't going to have to deliver the bad news to you.<br>

"well it appears the hard drive in your computer is dead, we can rebuild your machine for XX dollars, where are the backups of your data and copies of your software?"<br>

There are, but that doesn't mean people or companies are willing to pay for them, until they find they needed them. :( </p>

<p>I can diagnose my computer problems and know how to replace a hard drive in my external cases (tend to avoid opening the Minis but have seen it done on YouTube).</p>

<p>I've been a NOC monkey in my middle age.</p>

<p>the real cruel question is:</p>

<p>Q_Did your image are worthy to anyone else except you?</p>

<p>A_probably not (no offense)</p>

<p>____</p>

<p>Q_Can he still get them even if they are not worthy to him?</p>

<p>A_yes, like anyone can take your image when you post them and put them on there web site without you knowing it.</p>

<p>____</p>

<p>Q_I dont feel secure giving someone the acces of my computer...</p>

<p>A_just dont give him then or put all your valuable data on a external HD, plug when necesary.</p>

<p>____</p>

<p>I think people have to stop being so paranoid about there image, you have take them for people to see.. but most of you are keeping them in your computer and they will never see the light...</p>

<p>Many user here are enthusiasm amateur and serious hobbyist, many user here dont produce state of the art images or image worthy to someone else (i sometime included myself in this categorie).. yet many of the user here think that they should protect there image like its the end of the world... common, stop protecting and start sharing them. You should be happy if someone take your image from you and put them on a web site.. its mean he like them enough to show them ; )</p>

<p> </p>

I want to thank all who responded to my post concerning remote access by tech sopport agents. I have tried for 3 days to post my immediate response but unfortunately hit some sort of glitch that kept telling me that I posted it more than once. The suggested fix just wasn't working. Anyway, here's the reply:

My concern is/was that I was having a problem with installation & scheduling the initial full HD backup using Acronis Home 2010. It took several tries & when it finally was resolved & was in the process of backing up I left the computer for a few minutes & when I returned I noticed the tab at the bottom of the screen indicating that connection was possibly still "open". From a past similar situation I assumed that when my mouse became active again the remote access was closed. Live & learn.

Yes, my images are special to me as well as personal files & documents.

Thanks for the responses & the valuable information. By the way backup took about 13 hours. Ouch.