Retired 350d for wife, which lens?

Xinca

<p>Hi,<br>

Finally happy with my new 5dmk2.<br>

My old 350d will go to my wife. She like take photos and she is using a canon 870is now and she feel that small dc is not good.<br>

She like to take photo for everything but she took a lot of micro photos too.<br>

I do not think a 100/2.8 micro is good choice for her.<br>

Any suggestion like a 18-200 with good micro ability? The IQ does not needs to be super because I am using most of L lens anyway. Other brand then Canon are fine too.<br>

Budget? For sure cheaper is better but if I have to set a limit maybe 400$. This camera only worth 250$ I guess.<br>

Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>My wife really likes the Sigma 17-70 we have that, until recently, sat on a 350D. We have the original f/2.8-4.5. version.<br>

There's a new version with image stabilization and a slightly better aperture range (f/2.8-4), but you lose a little bit on the close-up ability. (1:2.7 vs 1:2.3)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The IQ does not needs to be super because I am using most of L lens anyway."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you saying that for your wife's photographic needs image quality isn't that important, because <strong>you</strong> have the better camera anyway?<br>

If so, how does she feel about that?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If she wants a small setup something like a 35 2.0 or sigma 30 1.4 comes to mind. If she prefers a zoom a Tamron 28-75 would be great or the 18-55 IS kit lens + 50 1.8 would all be in your budget.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My recommendation would be just so, as well, although I've not used the Sigma lens or Tamron lenses myself. The Canon EF 35mm f/2 is a superior lens, and the 50mm f/1.8 is an incredible bargain which someone in the family should carry with them ;)<br /> I'd go for the EF-S 18-55mm IS just because it gives your wife something on the wide angle end, with good optical quality and IS as well, besides being really affordable.</p>

<p>Another vote for the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8<br>

The only issue is that 28mm is not wide enough for landscapes. You should consider the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as well. If she'd be OK with just a prime, the Canon 60mm F2.8 does excellent portraits and great macro.</p>

<p>After thinking it over I would not go with an EF-S lens like the Tamron 17-50 or even the sigma 30, maybe the Canon kit since its so cheap and pretty good but I think it would make more sense to get something that will work on both cameras right? If so the Tamron 28-75 or one of the canon primes is probably what I would go with.</p>

<p>If you're looking for a lens that will at least work on both cameras, then don't forget the old EOS 24-85. Like many EF zooms it may not be wide enough for the APS-C camera, but of that's a critical factor then you ought to be looking at an EF-S lens anyway. If it isn't, the 24-84 is just about wide enough, has reasonable IQ, is pretty well built and is not too heavy/big, for a DRebel.</p>

<p>"The IQ does not needs to be super because I am using most of L lens anyway."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you saying that for your wife's photographic needs image quality isn't that important, because <strong>you</strong> have the better camera anyway?<br /> If so, how does she feel about that?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what she want. I ask her about PI she told me she does not care about PI but she wants it won's cost a lot. She hate to feel must care about it or afraid to lost it.</p>

<p>How does the camera swapping for a wife work?</p>

<p>ie is the protocol if trade a Speed Graphic I get a gal from Rochester NY?</p>

<p>Or if I swap a Zorki I get a Yulia Tymoshenko?</p>

<p>I am totally confused. </p>

<p>Heck; I really want one that can cook and sew; FF or APS size; not LF unless a great cook. ,:)</p>

<p>Alex, you're talking about <strong>macro</strong> photos, not "micro" photos. Photomacrography is the practice of taking photos of very small things (like insects) up to 1:1 or even higher reproduction, but not getting into microscopy, which requires a microscope setup in addition to the camera.</p>

<p>Nobody here has been giving you advice geared towards macro photography. However, the kit 18-55 IS lens is actually pretty good for magnification, giving about 1:3 if I remember correctly. And if for whatever reason you think she wouldn't like the 100mm f/2.8, well, the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 is a more comfortable general-purpose focal length (e.g. portraits) and offers true 1:1 macro.</p>

<p>I am so sorry that I mistakenly entered "Micro" as "macro".<br>

Actually I have 100/2.8 macro already. But she just want a lens she can do everything she want to do.<br>

I am looking at Canon 18-55,24-85 and sigma 17-70 now.<br>

Thanks for all suggestion. </p>

<p>I am relatively new to Canon DSLRs. Last November I got a used EOS 20D and bought the 18-55mm IS lens for it. I am very impressed by the sharpness, color and contrast of that lens. I have shot all formats up to 8x10 camera, and this lens is amazing at its price. The IS is a big help in dim lighting where flash cannot be used.</p>