Lighter dSLRs

RaymondC

<p>Nikon has the N/F75, do you think Nikon would release a light camera like that? If I am not mistaken even the D40 is some what heavier and larger than it. 380g vs 471g.</p>

<p>Or is the saying that newer cams and lenses these days are just going to get larger and larger .....</p>

<p>:-~</p>

<p>FWIW, I do international travels, when I am city and country hopping and staying at backpackers / hostels. At times, I will have my whole travel pack if I have checked out of my accomodation and then need to catch a later afternoon flight / train / bus, at the same price practicing the foreign lingo and navigating a foreign map :) So every ounce counts.</p>

<p>As a result I have upgraded or downgraded to a Gitzo traveller series (the 5 or 6 section one - the shorter one) b/c it is more compact, I have to haul it around b/c I do cityscapes and landscapes in low light. Not a mass shooter, I avg 25 frames per day on digital, if I chose film, maybe 1/2 a roll. I have also downgraded my lenses to a Nikon 18-70mm DX and a Sigma 10-20mm but I am thinking about ditching the Sigma off my travel plans if I do take a long 1 or 2 fast primes. Like a 35mm DX and a the nifty 50/1.8. Busy city where tripods might not be practical or just when you are doing a low light shot inside or outside. Anything wider than a 35mm and if it has to be faster than f/2.8 is just too large for travel. On the other hand a manual focus could be had both at the 28 or 24 at f/2.0 or the 35/1.4. Are things just getting larger?</p>

<p>Look at the F100 or F80 that many had. Then look at the D300 and D700, and the lenses 24-70, 70-200 II, the new 16-35 only a f/4 and look at the size. Apart from the maybe the DX lenses (a number of them) and maybe just the FF 50mm prime, many lenses are now greater than 52mm filter threads. It's like these days instead of a camera case, it's a shoulder bag or a backpack. </p>

<p>Nikon has offered compact dSLRs all along, altho' I don't know whether you see the full selection of models in New Zealand. The D100 and D70 weren't nearly as large and heavy as the D1/D2 pro series. The D90 size seems like a reasonable compromise. The palm/finger grip is very slightly cramped for my long fingers, but otherwise it was a comfortable and intuitive camera to operate, coming from my D2H. The D50 was also a good size.</p>

<p>Olympus has offered a few dSLRs without the prominent palm/finger-grip protrusions, such as the E-420 and similar models, but reactions have been mixed. Some folks appreciate the size, some will gripe about any compromises.</p>

<p>Hi Lex, yes, Nikon has have the full line up in NZ but only on the webpage. Pro shops don't even have demo's for almost any models. I think last time they had 1x body on display, I think they might order when you prebook, haha. None of the f/2.8 was on display. Never in my life I saw a 300mm or up. My first time was in Tokyo Shinjuku at their Service Centre behind the glass cabinets.</p>

<p>I have a D70 it is quite a big larger and heavier, 515 vs 595 to the F80. The lightest ever I think was the D40 with the D3000 and D5000, I think that they have gone up (slightly). A N/75 was so light, DOF preview, TTL flash, manual mode, full 35mm film size (not APS film).</p>

<p>My best time overseas with my first trip myself, which I had a Cxxxx body that I learnt film photog with and it weighed 360g, no DOF preview but it had manual ISO, incl a somewhat larger spot meter (they called it partial meter), as well as a CW meter and a Evaluative meter which I think is their multi segment meter.</p>

<p>The D70 to me was barely acceptable in terms of size and weight - too small and too light, a combination that makes for poor handling - especially with larger and heavier lenses. The one lens that surprises me on the D70 was the 300/4 AF IF-ED as it handled quite well. A D40 is even smaller - too small for me for sure. A Leica M6 is almost too small in my hands, and the narrow body without contours makes my right hand cramp up easily. The D200 is about perfect, as was the F5 (though heavy); the F4 was a tad too thick. Those cheap Nikon film cameras (N55/N65/N75) were definitely too light. I doubt you will ever see a DSLR as light as those - LCD etc add weight.</p>

<p>Ray, </p>

<p>Here are some alternatives to "heavy" Nikon DSLRs</p>

<p>Leica D-Lux 4 (P&S)<br>

Panasonic DMC-ZS3 (P&S)<br>

Canon Powershot G10/11 (P&S)</p>

<p>As Dieter has pointed out, you will likely never see a Nikon DSLR as light as the inexpensive Film SLRs. This is due to many factors, including, (but not limited to), the LCD, larger battery and more electronic components. Nikons cheap film SLRs were pretty well stripped down with only the tiny LED display on top. Keep in mind though, you are talking about 100g difference in weight. How much film did you carry with you? Prints? 100g isn't a whole lot to complain about when you're talking about convenience.</p>

<p>Hope this helps<br>

RS</p>

<p>I carried a D70 for a month in Venezuela and found that it was heavy for packing around. But it is such a good camera to work with it was tolerable.<br>

Others had expensive P&Ss with higher Megas but they all liked my 6 MP shots better. I would have rather had my D300 with me for IQ but it was too heavy for that trip.</p>

<p>I have found that, for general photography while on a trip, a higher end p&s works the best for me, especially the 24mm to 84mm Coolpix 8400. It has most of the settings of the DSLR's (Auto,P,S A, M, scene, i-TTL) but doesn't view through the lens. Shutter lag is on the low side, the lens is sharp and it has enough megas (8mp) to allow cropping without losing detail. On the other hand, if I am going somewhere that I expect to have the time to take outstanding photos I will lug the DSLR with me.</p>

<p>Gael</p>

<p>I have found that, for general photography while on a trip, a higher end p&s works the best for me, especially the 24mm to 84mm Coolpix 8400. It has most of the settings of the DSLR's (Auto,P,S A, M, scene, i-TTL) but doesn't view through the lens. Shutter lag is on the low side, the lens is sharp and it has enough megas (8mp) to allow cropping without losing detail. On the other hand, if I am going somewhere that I expect to have the time to take outstanding photos I will lug the DSLR with me.</p>

<p>Gael</p>

<p>Hmm .. thanks.</p>

<p>I guess a used D40/x is an option down the road. But the manual focus gears can be so much smaller. Faster than f/2.8 on a 52mm size. FF are so big, DX are limited, prob the widest is a normal lens - 35/1.8 with a 1.5x factor. Try a 28/1.4 or a 24/1.4 on a DX body or the N/F75. Sheez.</p>

<p>To date I found a manual body with a 24/2 and a 100/2.8 Series E might be one of the most portable packages. Or just a MF body with a 40/50 pancake lens.</p>

<p>I don't shoot much. I put a lot of thought and only do a few shots at one time. A 10 day holiday I would be sufficient with 6 rolls of film. I carry 1 loaded, 1 spare, the rest at the hostel.</p>

<p>I don't carry prints, I develop film at home after I return. With digital then there are the charger which could be larger than a point and shoot camera (!), I don't carry backup - no laptop or portable HD, I don't even carry a mobile phone overseas.</p>

<p>One of the reason I don't take laptops and other items is due to the charger. You could take a ultra light laptop, or even a Netbook, but look at the charger. Then you might need a traveler plug to fit diff countries. Netbooks are not even that smaller. My 1999 laptop, Thinkpad X20 still in use, is abotu the same size to the Netbook but the screen is not as tall .. and the corresponding keyboard and palm rest etc... the width (left to right) and the thickness and the weight are almost the same to the X20. Then when you get there the only place with free wifi is at the accom but I am not going to lug it to the city hotspots where available, many places are not free in many countries...</p>

<p>The closest was taking a laptop to the airport, then I took it out for a family member to bring back to home. Had the charger which I had to take with me thou as that was in checked baggage. My all baggage - checked and carry on these days are 12lbs or 6kg sometimes incl the photog gear and my tripod. The last time I put tripod in my daypack, as checked baggage, took the camera onboard with me in a plastic bag.</p>