EOS 1D mkIII, is it worth to buy?

tim_kong

<p>Hi, I have been offered a mint condition 1D mkIII at a very good price and am thinking of getting it. However, I am not very familiar with any of the 1 series cameras, never used them before. All I know is that there has been a lot of complaints and issues with the AF tracking capabilities of the 1D mk III. But I figure that it cannot be bad in all areas of focusing and there must be somewhere that that AF works flawlessly. I don't shoot sports so no issue there. I intend to use it, if I ended up buying, primarily for street and portraiture and maybe some wildlife, birds mostly. BTW, I am currently using a 5D mkII. All comments are welcome, thank you.<br>

Tim</p>

<p>Tim,<br>

I have a 1Ds MKIII and wouldn't trade it. This being said, if I had a 5D MKII I certainly would not consider the 1D. Your camera has better resolution and a full frame sensor. Additionally, from what I have read, the 5D MKII has better noise control at high ISO settings. You'd lose all those benefits and only gain weather/dust protection. Actually not even sure that I would go from the 5D MKII to my camera....</p>

<p>Stay with 5D II - I have owned both - image quality is much better to my eye with 5D II. If you need the benefit of the better weather sealing (and larger size/greater weight) of the 1d series then make the switch. If you need up to 10 FPS shooting speed, make the switch. To me, the Mark III was a great camera in its day but technology marches on - and the 5D II incorporates that newer technology - including video; full frame at a relatively low cost...better high ISO images...</p>

<p>I understand the need to change equipment now and again to try new things and get excited...but you have a known quantity (5D II) that is working fine. Anytime you get a used item there is that possibility that something about it is not quite right...</p>

<p>I agree with Jeff as well - in the last several months I went from a 5D II (my significant other now shoots with that camera) to a 1Ds III - it has been fun learning all the bells and whistles of Canon's flagship body. But at the end of the day, I see no difference in image quality between the 5D II and the 1Ds III. What I do feel is the huge size (comparatively) between the two cameras - the 1Ds III is a big camera even in my hands - sometimes that is good...but for casual street shooting and walk around landscapes - the camera gets heavy in one's backpack - never mind slung over one's shoulder! I will need the FPS and weather sealing soon for a project I am working on...but I do miss the elegance of the 5D II very much.</p>

<p>rdc/nyc</p>

It will be great for wildlife and birds since it gives you an incredible burst rate (10fps) and better AF, but unless you shoot a lot of wildlife or sports, I don't know that its worth it. Thats a lot of money to spend on one small aspect of photography, unless you shoot A LOT of wildlife. If its a great deal, you could always buy it and resell it to make money.