Tips on getting first gig?

gen_b.

<p>Hi folks,<br /> <br /> I was wondering if you all would offer some tips on how I might be able to find a photography internship or if at all possible, a paid assistant photographer gig. I really need to build up some professional experience, and my portfolio.<br /> <br /> I currently take photos for family, but would never, ever charge them, of course, and mainly like to give them my photos framed as gifts.<br /> <br /> I did some college photography work in the past, but the professors really didn't offer any real opportunities for the class, outside of assignments. I also did some of my own impromptu TFP shoots, but it never lead to any sort of long-term arrangement, and as much time as I invest, I really don't feel like I can learn as much on my own as I could in one day around a bunch of seasoned professionals.<br /> <br /> I even tried posting something on Craig's List, to offer my services as a photography assistant or second-shooter, but I have yet to hear back from anyone.<br /> <br /> I'm getting kind of discouraged.<br /> <br /> Any suggestions?</p>

<p>The first thing you need to do is figure out what you can offer to a seasoned professional: what abilities, skills, attitudes, etc. would make you an attractive prospect as an assistant. Your entire post is framed in terms of what you need and how you can benefit. No one is going to hire you because they really want to help you realize your goals; they're going to hire you based on what you can do for them.</p>

<p>Everyone who starts in photography is faced with the same problem. No one is interested in hiring someone who doesn't have any work to show their skills. So what's the solution?</p>

<p>Easy. You need to produce some personal work.</p>

<p>Make a portfolio from two personal projects. It doesn't matter what they are - just choose something interesting and accessible to you. Then invest some time in producing an engaging body of work. Treat it seriously, exactly as you would a paying job. Show how you can interpret a brief, how you can make something great from something ordinary.</p>

<p>Then edit and sequence your portfolio, and show it to people you want to work for. Doors that were formerly closed will become magically opened. The reason? Because you demonstrated initiative, conviction, stamina and personal resolve - the exact attributes that anyone wants from an intern or associate.</p>

<p>There are thousands of people who own cameras who want to be a professional photographer. Offering your bag carrying skills isn't going to impress anyone. But using your imagination will.....</p>

<p>What kind of photography? Some kinds have a history of apprenticeship and others don't. Some kinds have 'permanent' assistants and others have assistants and second shooters who aspire to be on their own one day.</p>

<p>You might find some threads about the topic under the Wedding Assistants section in the Wedding Forum. Such as--</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VhTj">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VhTj</a>, plus the links within.</p>

<p>Most professionals are innundated with new photographers wanting to assist and second shoot, so your chances these days, are, unfortunately much less. In order to succeed, you have to stand out. Think about how you can stand out from a sea of people just like you, asking for such positions.</p>

<p>One big mistake I see is that people contact a pro and immediately say they want to work for the pro "to get experience and fill out my portfolio". Now, think about that. What would you do, as a pro, if someone said that to you? Instead, you need to focus on what you can provide the pro--if someone told me they were loyal, on time, had a sense of honor (and humor), was flexible, could learn fast, follow directions, and could point to things that would help me in my marketing, I would tend to listen more. You also have to have plain doggedness in this pursuit.</p>