Need help!

michaela_wilkes1

<p>Just purchased a Canon 50 D and still have yet to be able to download any RAW images into PSE7. Finally after trying all day, I contacted Canon to see if I was doing anything wrong. Come to find out, 50D isnt compatible with PSE7, only CS4 and higher. UGH! I wish I had researched this before I bought this camera. I have a digital photo professional that I can process my raw images. Does anyone out there know any way around this? I really dont want to drop a $1000 on software right after buying the camera. Also, what version of CS4 is best? I maainly do portraits, sports shots and the occasional wedding! Thanks in advance for any help you may have!</p>

<p>Michaela</p>

<p>"If i convert it into a tiff, will it open in PSE as a raw picture..."</p>

<p>No, a Tiff isn't a RAW, although it has been suggested, that 16-bit Tiffs are comparable regarding the amount of data contained. However they are <strong>a lot bigger</strong> than DNGs, which, on the other hand, will open as RAWs. Look at DNG as a non-proprietary RAW format.</p>

<p>You need to download Canon Camera Raw 5.6 from the Adobe web site. Then copy the 32 bit version of the camera raw plug-in into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins Copy the version of the plug-in in the folder to another folder to keep it in case your new version messes something up. I just did this for my 5D Mark II. You may want to use a card reader to copy/move your files to your computer and then work on them with DPP or Your improved (Raw 5.6) Photoshop Elements 7. Good luck. If you need more help with this email me but this is pretty easy to figure out.</p>

<p>AFAIK unfortunately you won't be able to use new Camera Raw (the one which works with 50D) since it's blocked in older versions. That's the way adobe tries to make you to upgrade. You could transform 50D's raw images to a more popular extension using canon's software (e.g. DPP and convert them to *.tiff or *.jpg).</p>

<p>There might be one more way around the problem. Adobe has it's own raw extension called *.dng (digital negative). The converter is free to download from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4620</p>

<p>What you need to do is download the converter, convert your canon *.cr2 files to *.dng and process them normally as raw files in photoshop.</p>

<p>Here is more information about "Digital Negative": http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4620</p>

<p>I forgot about one more thing: you also need to change preferences in "(4)" to "Camera Raw 2.4 and later"</p>