External Flash for 7D

NimArt

<p>Hi everyone<br>

I have a Canon 7D and I need an external flash for it now cause of a portrait project. I found 430EXII and 580EXII for it on this site. First I wanna know which one is better for my camera and my main question is that ; which one of these flashes is working out of the camera, I mean which one I can hold it in my hand and it works kinda remote control from the camera; cause as you all know, when you aim the camera ( and surely the flash contacted on it ) horizontaly on the subject and point the flash with an angel to the ceiling and shoot, there is no problem , but what about when you take your camera vertically for the portraiture and surely you cant aim the flash on the ceiling?<br>

thank you in advance<br>

Nima</p>

<p>Nima, either flash will do what you desire. The head on both models will roatate horizontally 180 degrees and raise up 90 degrees. The 7D will allow you to use either flash in slave mode and the onboard flash will act as the master. </p>

<p>If I understand your post correctly, you can rotate the flash while it's on the camera to point at the ceiling, whether your in horizontal or vertical. The better choice is the 580 EXII. 7D will act as your commander to fire off your flash but the range is really poor. I simply use the pocket wizard to trip my flash and it works great. Rather than holding your flash in your hand, you can get a stand with a small softbox. This way your free to use both hands on the camera. Good luck v/r Bufdr</p>

<p>I went to Adorama and bought lighting stand, they have pro grade on sale for about 70 bucks and clamp for flash and umbrella for 30 bucks no shipping or tax, if i had the money i would definetley by the 580ex i have the 430ex11 and its realy great but , i know from usinf the 580 its a much better flash, as far as power and you can use a battery pack on the 580, which runs about 200 bucks ,</p>

<p>I use a 430EX on my 7D and it works great. It's heavy and bulky so not great for carrying around all day. Slave mode works perfectly as long as you have line of sight from the trigger (or lots of reflective surfaces like light walls/ceilings).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Primary differences between 580EX and 430EX:<br>

1) 580EX has twice the power (i.e. one stop more light at max output)<br>

2) 580EX on the camera can act as a "master" unit for other EX flash units.<br>

If pockets are deep: Get the 580EX. Otherwise. . the 430EX will serve you fine.</p>

<p>Primary differences between 580EX and 430EX:<br>

1) 580EX has twice the power (i.e. one stop more light at max output)<br>

2) 580EX on the camera can act as a "master" unit for other EX flash units.<br>

If pockets are deep: Get the 580EX. Otherwise. . the 430EX will serve you fine.</p>