So I have this dilemma...

dave_kim3

<p>I currently have a Leica R8 (with 24 elmarit, and 50 summilux, motor-drive), and a D90 with (18-105 vr, and 80-200 AFS, MB-D80 + small accessories) and a Metz 540 flash to share between them...<br>

I'm thinking of selling the D90 (and all the accompanying Nikon equipment), keep the R8, and just get a small digital P&S, and/or a Leica rangefinder. Oh, almost forgot, I wanted to buy the f/4 80-200 for the R8 as well.<br>

So my question is:<br>

1) What P&S would be a "decent" replacement for the D90 (this is for casual "point and shoot" situations; and occasional long exposures [over 1 min]- if at all possible with P&S's...)<br>

2) What rangefinder would I be able to fit in after having sold the D90 + 18-105 Vr + 80-200 AFS, + MB-D80? I just need a rangefinder with a 35mm lens to go with it (I'd have to buy it as well...)<br>

Thanks,<br>

Dave.</p>

<p>Oh, the reason I'm selling the D90 is not because I don't like it/or am satisfied with it... It's just that I have two huge slrs with all the lenses, and it's not helpful when traveling... <br>

So I just need a small (nice!) P&S, or maybe one of the micro 4/3 cameras, if they pass as small cameras...</p>

<p>While I love the LX3, it's not really a replacement for a D90 because it doesn't let you interchange lenses.<br>

My first choice would be the Panasonic GF1. It has interchangeable lenses and quite a lot of user control over functionality - including manual aperture and shutterspeed and manual focusing. It accepts a variety of lenses, including image-stabilized micro-4/3 lenses, 4/3 lenses, and manual lenses from a wide range of mount families. <br>

It's quite compact and robust, it has a built-in pop-up flash, and you can get a very compact and high-quality kit lens (the 20/1.7, which, however, is not image-stabilized). It has long-exposure noise reduction built in.</p>

<p>Starvy,<br>

I'm hoping to sell the D90 + 18-105VR + MB-D80 + SB-400 for around $1400 (?? +-)... so that would be my budget. The Nikon 80-200 AFS would go to sponsor the Leica 80-200.<br>

Michael,<br>

How much does the M8.2 cost? I was considering that, but I'm afraid it's way too expensive for me... although I would definitely jump at it if it's in the $1200 area (lens included)... :D I really haven't looked into the M8.2 deeply enough to know much about the price and etc...<br>

Bob,<br>

I will look into the GF1... what do you think of the Olympus EP-2? <br>

Thank you all for your responses :).</p>

<p>M8 is going for $2000-$2800 used depending on condition, but you get a really neat infrared capability free thanks to the infrared contamination issue. I've taken most of my shots with an R72! The M8.2 seems to be going for about $1000 more.</p>

<p>I second the idea of the GF-1 or the EP-1/2 for small pocket cameras. The Sigma DP-1 and DP-2 might also be choices of large sensor cameras.</p>

<p>If the rangefinder doesn't have to be digital, an M6 might work for you, as might a Bessa of some sort or even a Leica CL (which is also my pocket camera with its 40mm lens).</p>

<p>I say buy and sell whatever makes you happy. Selling the D90 and keeping the R8 is going back technology wise about 25 years back to the 80s. Some guys drive the car they wanted as a kid but couldn't afford. That D90 is a very smart camera but if film makes you happier why not. My R system sits on the shelf but I recently developed a roll of E6 that I shot and the slides were very good. If it was me I'd get rid of the consumer zoom, get a better lens like maybe the 17-55mm 2.8 for the D90 and take pictures. The D90 has very high image quality. Even Steve McCurry has forsaken his Nikon F100 for a D3X and a 24-70mm zoom. You can learn a lot with the instant feedback a digital SLR provides. Good luck!</p>

<p>Dave,<br>

Keep the R8 and get a DMR for it...if you can find a used one. There may be one coming up on Fred Miranda's site soon but the guy is selling it with an R8 and a few other accessories..otherwise I would buy it myself as a backup to mine. I suspect the cost is probably over the top for you (probably over 4K) but if you can manage it you'll have one of the best 10mp digital outfits out there (and still be able to shoot film).</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

I've thought about the DMR, and came to the conclusion that it's too expensive... :) Although I would definitely love to have it.<br>

Gil,<br>

Keeping the R8 would be like driving the car I couldn't afford :). I actually used to own a 18-200 which I sold to buy the 80-200, and got the 18-105 until I got a 17-55 (or 24-70, to later use on an FX body). Anyway... I'm really fond of the D90, and the only reason I'm selling it, is because I have to huge/heavy SLR bodies, and it's too heavy to carry around when I travel.<br>

I just need a digital camera for 3 main reasons:<br>

1) Instant results<br>

2) Autofocus<br>

3) small size (smaller than a DSLR, at least).<br>

So I took a 'peek' at the Olympus E-P2 and found out that with an adapter I can use my Leica R lenses on it! Which got me VERY excited... and then there is the E-PL1.</p>

<p>I use a Lumix FZ8 side by side with most of my film cameras and fine it to be an excellent, tiny, camera, though not shirt pocket size. I am almost tempted to get a later model, but they tend to be larger and the only real benefit for me would be a 28mm equiv. lens. </p>

<p>My conclusion is that my (next) shirt pocket digital camera has to be an LX3 in order to meet the optimal specifications of Raw files, decent wideangle coverage, good sensor 'behavior' and cost. The GF-1 sounds great, but there is a risk of run-away costs and lack of affordable superwide lenses at present.</p>

<p>As for a complementary rangefinder camera - the implied size constraints would suggest a Barnack - a "real" shirt-pocket P&S 35mm rangefinder camera.</p>

<p>How about:</p>

<p>- Ditch the R8.<br /> - Convert the Leica lenses to Nikon bayonet with Leitax mounts (reversible if necessary):</p>

<p>http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html</p>

<p>- Pick up a Nikon film SLR (even an F100 is cheap now). This will be compatible with your 80-200 and Leitax lenses (though not with the 18-105).<br>

Edit - Sorry, looks like the 24 Elmarit may not be suitable for Nikon film cameras (or FX dSLRs), but should be OK on the D90.</p>

<p>Richard, <br>

Frankly, I wouldn't have even gotten the Nikon 80-200 if it weren't for my younger brother's sports activities - and now I don't need it anymore. I would have sold the D90 when I had just gotten the R8, but needed the fast AF and all the benefits that come with a DSLR, which is why I kept it until now.<br>

Now I have the R8 for taking pics of what I want/like, and just need a <em>compact</em> <em>digital</em> camera with <em>auto-focus</em> - for quick on-the-go snapshots.<br>

Since I will be traveling a lot more this year (in fact, I will be traveling from the end of this May 'till about July of 2011, non-stop), I cannot lug around two SLR systems with me. The E-P2, or the E-PL1 seem like a good enough digital camera for to suit my needs, but they seem too pricey for me to justify the cost... I'm still thinking about it :).<br>

Barry,<br>

I am just looking for a "flexible" camera. Not for any serious stuff.<br>

Alan, <br>

I will look into the Lumix cameras you've suggested. As for the rangefinder, perhaps in a few years :). I'd love to get one now (I actually have a FED-2), but I need a small P&S more at the moment.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses! </p>

<p>As far as compact digitals go, the Canon G series are very nice (G11 now, perhaps a G12 later this year). Not shirt pocket size (more like jacket pocket) but designed to function as an SLR substitute when you want something smaller (you even get a hotshoe and an acceptable optical viewfinder). I don't think any compact will be as responsive as your D90, however.</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/</p>

<p>Leica Dlux4 is a perfect companion for travelling. It has the "Leica look" all over it. I like the colors from its jpeg too when compared with its cousing panasonic lx3. Another possibility is the new leica X1 which is another p&s with Nikon d90 sensor.</p>

<p>I bought into the Panasonic line for my first interchangeable lens D camera buying the G1 and am extremely happy I did. It's a great camera, albeit with more options then you could ever use. You could go with the smaller F body if need be and get a Leica R or Nikon adapter to shoot your existing lenses along side. The Panasonic kit lens tho is pretty dam good and everyone is raving about the 20mm. I think from what I've read there should be some new lenses out this year. If you want a snapper with alot of capability it's really hard to beat.</p>