RZ67 back doesn't lock into

denisbergeron

<p>Hi everybody,<br>

After seven year of thinking about it I got a rz67, almost new.<br>

Come in pieces apart!<br>

I attach every part into the body.... I remove the film holder lot of time and reput it without problem... I remove the flim holder to see how to put film onit... I try to put it back and then I can't slide the lock to lock the film holder to the body !<br>

Huch ! I read and reread the manual... and then the brain go off!<br>

Google all the way ! Can't find anything....<br>

Hope simply someone here already had this kind of problem and tell me what I'm doing wrong.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Denis Bergeron</p>

<p>Denis,<br>

Is the film insert (the actual film holder) correctly positioned and locked into the film back? Is the dark slide completely in place? Are you certain that the film back is in the right orientation to attach to the camera body?</p>

<p>I just returned from dinner out with friends, and my brain is nearly asleep as well, so I'm probably missing something very simple here. If you don't get a quick answer on the forum, do you have the ability to set up a video chat on Skype, or a similar service?</p>

<p>If so, I will have my PC camera back in service by Friday evening (it died, and a new one is on the way from Amazon), and I would be happy to go online with an RZ67 kit to work the problem with you.</p>

<p>Jim K. </p>

<p>Denis,<br>

have a look here:<br>

http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_rz67_proii-2.pdf<br>

For more information, I wrote a blurb about the RZ67 series for camerapedia last week, have a look here:<br>

http://camerapedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_RZ<br>

I hope this will help you sort out your problem.<br>

Good luck with your RZ!<br>

Christoph</p>

<p>Thank you both.<br>

Christoph, this is exactly the pdf I use :-(<br>

Jim, I try and remove the insert and I retry it a lot of time... nothing. Thank you for your offer, I will send you an email next week if I don't have solution<br>

I'm going on a shooting next week starting tomorrow, I think the mamiya will not come. </p>

<p>Hi Denis,</p>

<p>My Pro 11 backs will release and receive the film cassette without taking the body of the back off the camera, it will also release and receive the back without the film cassette. So the film cassette, should in theory, not be causing a problem.</p>

<p>These backs need to be lined up very close to exactly correct for the pins/buttons on the camera body. This you should find simpler to practice with the camera body on your knees with lens facing down. Better yet have the camera body at eye level, lens pointing down, resting on a table so you can see what you are doing rather than having to feel. You should have a friend hold the camera and lens steady while you look at what you doing. What I am saying is that I do not think there is anything wrong with back or the body.</p>

<p>I do not have the RZ here with me so I can not check this but it is possible that if the R-M lever is not pointing up at the dot and is pointing to M or R the back will not go on. Perhaps someone who has an RZ to hand could check this and let Denis know.</p>

<p>Regards Rob.</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>It is now 2013 and I'm wondering if Denis ever got an answer to his question. The reason I am looking at this series now, is that I have run into the same problem with a used RZ67 and, with a lot of trial and error, eventually discovered what the problem is, I think. I am not new to MF, but haven't owned an RZ67 until now. It is used, but in cosmetically decent shape, but the 120 back appears to have received a lot more use than the body. However, I was successful in exposing several rolls of film with this back in testing the camera. <br>

Based on the obvious age of the back, I decided to buy a newer one just in case. Last month I went out on a workshop shoot and pre-loaded both backs to save time on the shoot. Well, on the shoot the old back failed to lock on the body and was totally useless while the newer back did just fine. Smooth as silk. At home I examined both backs closely and was unable to detect any significant difference between the two, but they consistently continued to function as before. The newer one functioned smoothly as designed while the older one repeatedly failed to lock.<br>

Eventually, I discovered what the problem is, or at least appears to be. On the face of the back, inside the circle, are two tiny steel pins with a diameter of about like that of a fine mechanical pencil lead. These pins are on opposite sides of the circle. They serve to enable/disable the locking lever so it will only function when the back is properly seated on the camera body. I could enable the locking lever with the backs off the camera body by depressing both pins with the fingers of one hand while moving the locking lever with the other hand. The locking levers of both backs function properly this way. <br>

<strong>But</strong>, on the two backs these pins were different lengths. On the newer back, they protrude 1.5 mm, but, on the older one the pins protrude only .9 mm. I don't know if there is any reason other than age and usage for this difference in pin length, but it is clear to me that the newer back with the longer pins locks just fine and the older one with the shorter pins doesn't. <br>

I am discarding the older back and ordering another new one. <br>

I hope this treatise helps some other poor soul that experiences this baffling problem and looks for a solution here.<br>

Regards, Jim</p>