Nikon D80 upgrade: camera body or lens?

<p>So i've been shooting with a Nikon D80 I got new 3 years ago, my first digital SLR. Have never been too happy with the clarity of the images produced, which I've been told is the fault of the kit lens (18 - 135mm f/3.5 - 5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens), even with a tripod. It's been recommended I upgrade the lens but have been thinking about upgrading the camera body (can't print images as large as I would like, given the camera's resolution and sensor size). Which is more important if I can't do both? Increased image clarity and crispness more important to me than image size.</p>

<p>I shoot a lot of found objects and artifacts in the environment (not landscapes -- more like outdoor still-lifes), as well as portraits. Any advice greatly appreciated.<br>

Meg Dreyer</p>

Can you post an example with the EXIF info intact? How large would you like to print? The D80 with an 18-135 lens is a very capable combination to produce fairly large prints. If your equipment is faulty an example would give us clues. If not, then we might give you some advice on technique.

<p>marguerite, it doesnt sound like the d80 is to blame here.</p>

<p>that camera, which i have btw, has a 10mp CCD sensor. as such, it can print at up to 16x20 with excellent quality results. if you were to follow the upgrade path, you'd most likely be looking at a d90 or d300 as your next logical body. OK, both those are 12mp CMOS sensors. there's actually very little improvement in image quality with a 2mp resolution bump, and CCD actually may be a technologically-superior format to CMOS. where CMOS is better is in high-ISO ability. the other thing a d90/d300 has, besides more reliable matrix metering--which is a real issue with a d80 but one that can simple be resolved by shooting in CW or spot metering or setting exposure comp to -0.7--is auto CA adjust, which is part of the firmware. this appears to make lenses perform better on the later cameras. so, to sum up, IQ isnt going to be terribly improved by a move to d90/d300, except in low-light situations, or shots with harsh color transitions.</p>

<p>even if you take the next step up, to a D700, which is also a 12mp camera, you'll only get somewhat better image quality, mainly at higher ISOs and/or if you are printing larger than 16x20. you would have to spend $8k for a D3x to really see a noticeable bump in IQ.</p>

<p>so, now let's look at lenses. if you're using kit lenses, you may not be resolving the d80 sensor to its full capacity. that said, if you shoot at f/8-f/11 most of the time, and avoid shooting at extreme wide angle (because of distortion) and extreme long end (light fall-off), it's possible to get perfectly crisp images with kit lenses, although their flaws will be revealed the larger you print.</p>

<p>that said, upgrading your lenses before you upgrade your body is almost always the best move.</p>

<p>tony has good advice about a 50/1.8 for portraits and a macro--i might go for a 90-to-105mm lens here, just to spread your range a bit. and the 35/1.8 is an excellent low-light and general photography lens, as well as being inexpensive.</p>

<p>You can never go wrong with buying better lenses. The D80 is a prefectly capable camera. Better technique, shooting a LOT, and using the 35mm 1.8 as suggested above will make you realize that the limiting factor is rarely the camera. There is no problem printing 16x20 images from a D80. I would recommend the 35 1.8 DX lens, as well as the Tamron 90mm macro. Learning to use single-focal length lenses will teach you a lot about composition, keeping things "simple" and use of a good tripod and remote release will also help. </p>

• 5 months later...