Wedding- How much to charge??

kimnhim

<p>I'm fairly new to photography. I have been asked to shoot a friends sisters wedding. I have no idea where to start. I have helped shoot 2 weddings, that's it. So here's my questions..<br>

-How much to charge?<br>

-Should I include a package, if so what should be included?<br>

-Questions to ask the bride and groom to make sure they get what they want<br>

-Any other questions or concerns that should be brought up.<br>

Thanks so much! I would really appreciate any suggestions..</p>

<p>I suggest you go to the Wedding Forum and start reading all the threads in the archived section for Newcomers and First Timers Bible. You will find answer to most of your questions.</p>

<p>Otherwise, I would charge nothing but hard expenses, if any, and turn over the files--no package.</p>

<p>The best tip I can give you is to be sure you have a back up camera body, flash, and lens. And shoot RAW. And have a contract, even if no money changes hands.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How much to charge?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Given that you're doing this for a friend (or a freind's family member) and given that you are "new to photography," you shouldn't charge them ANYTHING.</p>

<p>If you take the job (a) do it for the experience, and (b) warn them in advance that the results are probably not going to be as good as if they hired a seasoned professional for the job.</p>

<p>You have a nice opportunity to (a) help out a friend and (b) gain some experience. But you also have a responsibility to be forthright about your level of ability and your lack of experience. A wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. If you mess up this lady's photos, she's never going to forgive you.</p>

<p>+10 to what Dan said. I don't do weddings and that's because I know I don't have what it takes. If a friend asks me to do theirs, I forewarn them of my lack of experience and highly recommend hiring a professional, but if they really want me to do it, I charge little or nothing.</p>

<p>Like Nadine said, be sure that you have backups for all of your equipment in case something fails. And what about a backup photographer in case you get sick, have an accident, family emergency, etc.? You don't want to leave them without a photographer in case something happens that prevents you from being there.<br>

Check out the venue if you can. Do they allow flash?<br>

And I agree, if you're fairly new to weddings, I'd just charge for your expenses only and get something in writing to use the images in your portfolio.<br>

And definitely be honest about your level of experience!</p>

<p>Done a few myself for friends and family asking what they want is prime. Check out other peoples work, the galleries here have some really good stuff to get ideas. Have a backup camera, lots of batteries and most important a rain location just in case that happens.<br>

Now what to charge, like what Dan said "Nothing." This is your gift to them and let them know that. In most cases they will give you some form of remuneration for your work. Shoot both raw/jpeg if you can do a quick edit to get rid of the really bad shots. Burn on to disc and give to them the next day if possible. Besides how often do you get to take pictures of pretty girls and not get in trouble for it.</p>